Freezing bread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finwiz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Read couple of articles (US based) about diabetic benefits for toasting frozen bread slices to reduce sugar spike. Has anyone experience of this please?

I hadn't heard of it, but I always freeze my bread as I rarely have more than 3 or 4 slices a week.

Read couple of articles (US based) about diabetic benefits for toasting frozen bread slices to reduce sugar spike. Has anyone experience of this please?

I've not heard of that. I presume it's another instance of resistant starch

I only found put about this in the past 12 months too (when I was looking up heating/cooling/reheating pasta for a thread on here).

It’s only since the lockdowns really that we’ve started having bread in the freezer, but now there’s a pretty consistent turnaround of one loaf going in while the previous loaf comes out.

I hadn’t twigged that the freezing/thawing converted some of the starch to resistant starch - but looking back I think the seedy loaves I generally eat have been a little less spiky over that period.

It’s not a huge impact - but it does help just a little.

I freeze all bread I eat. Doesn’t make a difference to my bgs but is more convenient for living alone

I tested it out - my insides simply see it as a challenge to their efficiency.
I can make bread with all sorts of seeds and fibre only flours and that is not bad, but too much can cause constipation. I make teeny tiny loaves and slice very thinly if I decide to do some baking - but it can be months between baking sessions.

I eat so little bread that I keep it in the freezer anyway and just take out a couple of slices when needed. What you've come across is how toasting bread from freezing increases the resistant starch content, which isn't digested. Read all about it here:-

I also always freeze bread as i live alone, it just saves it going off.

My mother had a habit of keeping bread in the fridge to 'keep it fresher'. As a kid I hated it and told her it somehow changed the consistency of the bread. Even after returning to room temperature sandwiches made with it were just not as nice and soft as they would be if the bread had not been put in the fridge. Of course she insisted it did not affect the bread, but it totally did :(

Have chest freezer in garage & always freeze our bread & take it out when needed.

Can't say I've noticed any difference in bg behaviour between fresh bread & frozen bread then thawed.

Have chest freezer in garage & always freeze our bread & take it out when needed.

Can't say I've noticed any difference in bg behaviour between fresh bread & frozen bread then thawed.
Yeah, frozen, then defrosted bread is absolutely fine, I always freeze all/part of a loaf. I would never store it in the fridge tho, that bread from my childhood still haunts me :rofl:

Yeah, frozen, then defrosted bread is absolutely fine, I always freeze all/part of a loaf. I would never store it in the fridge tho, that bread from my childhood still haunts me :rofl:

Actually have fond memory's of bread growing up, parents especially dad loved frest uncut bread & would slice it quite thick with lashings of butter on, went great with mams homemade soups which you could stand spoon in.

Still love bread to this day, life would be dull without it.

My grandmother used to have the cottage loaf type, I loved the crust off that smothered in butter :D
I don't eat a lot of bread, but I do like it (fresh or frozen, then defrosted ... just not chilled)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back