Freestylelibre2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newfy

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
Hi all. Hope all OK. Just started using freestylelibre2 sensor. Had enough of using fingers like a pin cushion! Am wondering if there's anywhere else I can locate the sensor other than back of upper arm as recommended by Abbott. Am a side sleeper. Type 2 secondary diabetic using Humalog mix25 injections. Quite slim build...ie, low flabby bits! Any suggestions/advice on where to locate sensor?? Keep them clean! Thank you.

I position my sensor high up my arm as far back as I can. As this is close to my shoulder (and I don't sleep in a shoulder stand), I never experience compression lows due to lying on it.
Some people have positioned their sensors on their chest or abdomen and had no problems. However, they are not licensed to be positioned there so if there is a problem (and you admit where you have placed it), Abbott may be unwilling to replace the sensor.

I’m a side sleeper and just make sure to position my sensor slightly off-centre of where I lie on my arm, if that makes sense. I also tend to sleep on my non-sensor side and I trained myself to do this pretty well. I’ve never used the sensor elsewhere as I’m slim and also I’d probably knock it off or catch it on clothing.

I'm also a side sleeper, and I've gotten used to sleeping on my non-CGM side for two weeks, then switching to the other side with a new sensor.

I've gotten good at doing a gentle swipe down my arm with the opposite hand when I'm trying to find a comfy position to sleep in. You'd think I'd know which arm has the CGM, but it's not easy to remember at 3 in the morning.

I'm also a side sleeper, and I've gotten used to sleeping on my non-CGM side for two weeks, then switching to the other side with a new sensor.

I've gotten good at doing a gentle swipe down my arm with the opposite hand when I'm trying to find a comfy position to sleep in. You'd think I'd know which arm has the CGM, but it's not easy to remember at 3 in the morning.
I know the 3am rap aswell.

I’m a side sleeper and just make sure to position my sensor slightly off-centre of where I lie on my arm, if that makes sense. I also tend to sleep on my non-sensor side and I trained myself to do this pretty well. I’ve never used the sensor elsewhere as I’m slim and also I’d probably knock it off or catch it on clothing.
I do the same. I was just wondering about other locations as lying on it (unknowingly) might give unusual readings! Had low G alarm go off at stupid o'clock, only to finger prick and find nowhere near low G reading! Like sensor so far. Slightly less diabetic mental admin , and fingers can get a rest!

I do the same. I was just wondering about other locations as lying on it (unknowingly) might give unusual readings! Had low G alarm go off at stupid o'clock, only to finger prick and find nowhere near low G reading! Like sensor so far. Slightly less diabetic mental admin , and fingers can get a rest!
Yes, there is such a thing as "compression lows". This happens when you apply pressure to a sensor (such as lying on it) and result is a false low reading. It is usually easy to spot as there is a sudden drop and sudden rise.

I don't worry about placement too much, I just deal with compression lows as they come.

Here's my usual overnight low alarm procedure:
  • Alarm goes off
  • Scan
  • If scan says low AND I feel low, treat
  • If scan says low, but I feel fine, get up, move around for a few minutes (go to the toilet, get a sip of water) to get the interstitial fluid moving and scan again - the second reading will usually be higher and seem more correct
  • If second scan still says low, but I don't feel low, I do a finger prick and treat (or not treat) accordingly
  • If I'm awake enough, I'll also look at the graph to see if I suddenly dropped off a cliff edge - a good sign of a compression low if it's in the middle of the night

I'm another one who has trained myself not to sleep on the sensor but I have the original Libre with no alarms and to be honest I would disable the alarms overnight rather than have my sleep disturbed by it going off unnecessarily. I am fortunate to have pretty good hypo awareness though and so far my body has been reasonably good at waking me up to treat both highs and lows during the night, so I don't feel the alarms would be a huge benefit to me now that I have overcome my fear of nocturnal hypos.

Sorry that is probably not much help to you. There are a few men who have successfully used them on their chest and found it reliable but as mentioned Abbott may not replace if you have problems and own up to the alternative location.

Used sensor on chest fair few times with excellent results, being man have to shave area otherwise it would hurt like hell when removing.

Often lay on side where sensor is on arm without getting compression lows, don't know why but not had them since early days of using libre, certainly not experienced false lows since using libre 2 anyway.

Find above has some great suggestions about what to do if unsure about libre reading during night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back