Freestyle Libre2

Status
Not open for further replies.

angeladalton

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have just been fitted with a freestyle libre 2. My diabetic nurse had a free sample. The nhs trust where I live do not prescribe these devices for type 2. Can anyone advise me where the cheapest place to buy these from? Thank you.

I have just been fitted with a freestyle libre 2. My diabetic nurse had a free sample. The nhs trust where I live do not prescribe these devices for type 2. Can anyone advise me where the cheapest place to buy these from? Thank you.
I always bought from abbot, about £49 each

I get mine directly from Abbott, it's the best price I have found unless someone knows different, go to there website, register and buy them directly, then you also get the support should it fail

Can anyone advise me where the cheapest place to buy these from?
It used to be that a few pharmacies sold them cheaper than Abbott (Superdrug was a big one) but that's mostly stopped. The most recently mentioned one is Tesco pharmacy, so if there's one nearby it's probably worth giving them a ring and seeing what their price is (and let us know if they're cheap, because you're not the only one!).

Double check with your diabetic nurse and if you are using a day insulin (Novorapid) and an evening one (Levemir) then that should qualify you. That’s what I did and have Freestyle Libre in my prescription list.
My area did not prescribe libre for type 2 until very recently

With your hypo unawareness, I’d think it would be worth a try getting the Libre prescribed @angeladalton Definitely worth asking.

My local NHS Trust got it's knuckles rapped for not even prescribing Libre to Type Is entitled to them. Only recently a Type I I know decided not to go for Libre as an iffy consultant (only ever seen him once) told him you have to check each scan with a finger prick! I put him straight but doubt he will call the guy out as he's not me!

Since you are on meds for your diabetes, you will not have to pay the VAT on the purchase price, which brings the price down to the £49 that @Lucyr mentions. You may need to fill in a form to confirm this though?

Hope you are able to follow-up eligibility due to your impaired hupo awareness @angeladalton

Libre 2 are doing a free trial, I can't finger prick it's proving quite difficult (needle phobic) so I thought I would try it..I am a newly diagnosed type 2...

Is anyone else using it and how are you finding it

Libre 2 are doing a free trial, I can't finger prick it's proving quite difficult (needle phobic) so I thought I would try it..I am a newly diagnosed type 2...

Is anyone else using it and how are you finding it
I have been using the Libre fo ra number of years and found it gives a great insight into my diabetes.
Please do not see it as a replacement for finger pricks. It gives you far more but there may be times when you need to prick. Take a read of this thread which explains the limitations: https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/cgm-limitations-and-precautions.108188/

Thank you so much..I have tried to do some finger pricks to see whether the reasongs are accurate and they are not too far off eachother...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back