1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Freestyle libre

Discussion in 'General Messageboard' started by StephanieM, Jul 13, 2019.

1. StephanieM

StephanieM New Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 2
    3646E81C-CAB2-44A1-BC2C-E7056858D145.png FA3C12FC-E781-4647-B220-F2F67D137328.png Hi all,
    Hoping someone could help me please.
    I’ve had my libre on my left arm now for 3 days (have been using libres for 3months now) and today all of my readings from it have been dangerously low in the hypo range. I’ve just tested using the old fashioned finger prick test and the differences are quite noticeable (libre read: 2.9, finger prick read 7.3).
    I’ve had porridge for breakfast at 9am and haddock gouging and chips at lunch around 1.30. Has anyone else had these kind of readings?
    Have added pictures of the reading on my libre app on my phone.
    Thank you in advance,
    Stephanie.

2. Thebearcametoo

Thebearcametoo Well-Known Member

Parent
    Is the sensor stuck on properly still?

3. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member

Type 1
    I had a sensor once that never registered above 3.0. Despite the fact that my meter was telling me I had readings in the range I would expect.
    I phoned Abbot, and they agreed that it wasn’t giving accurate readings. (I pointed out that at 2.9 I should have been on the point of passing out, and I definitely wasn’t!).They sent me a replacement, with no quibbles, and a biohazard bag to return the dodgy sensor. They said it sounded like the filament had got kinked on entry.

4. everydayupsanddowns

everydayupsanddowns Moderator

Type 1
    Are you well hydrated?

If this level of difference (2.9 to 7.3) continues tomorrow I suggest you call Abbott on Monday who will troubleshoot the sensor and most likely replace it.

5. SB2015

SB2015 Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Where I have had readings that have been way off my BG Abbott have replaced the sensor.
    This sensor of yours certainly is not behaving normally at present.
    Give them a ring.

6. khskel

khskel Well-Known Member

Type 1
    What everyone else says. Give 'em a bell Monday. They're pretty good at replacing ones that are way out compared to fingerprick tests.

7. StephanieM

StephanieM New Member

Type 2
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I’ve decided to take the sensor off - it’s clearly not reading correctly! I’ll ring Abbott on Monday and see if they can send me a replacement and for now will have to go back to the old fashioned way of finger pricking!

8. everydayupsanddowns

everydayupsanddowns Moderator

Type 1
    I’ve had sensors that read significantly different for 2-3 days, then came into line.

Others find that some sensors seems to be ‘shifted’ up or down by a predictable number for them, and can continue to use the sensor for trends.

Hope you get a replacement on Monday :)

SB2015 likes this.
  9. Ljc

Ljc Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I hope I am not too late. Don’t throw the faulty sensor away as Abbott may want the faulty sensor back for testing.

SB2015 likes this.
  10. SB2015

SB2015 Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Lin beat me to it. Don’t throw it away.

My first one they didn’t ask to have back, but since then they do. From reading blogs, and my own experiences Abbott seem to be very much on the ball with wanting to sort out problems with their sensors.

More generally, I am surprised at how different readings are sometimes, but this has become a trigger for me to rehydrate. It really does make a big difference, both for the accuracy and our health. So such a bonus having our Libre sensors as an extra reminder to drink more water.

everydayupsanddowns likes this.