FREESTYLE LIBRE

paul evans

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed Type 2 about 2 years ago, age 61. Have been trying to control BS levels with diet and exercise, and a freestyle libre kit. Am finding £100 a month for 2 sensors expensive, and am trying to get sensors from Barnet, which is proving difficult.

Any tips on how to persuade my GP/ appeals process/ cheaper stockists?

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum. I love my Libre, it has been a big help to me .
Sadly as most T1 people are unable to get this system unless they meet very strict criteria, I think it’s unlikely that you will be successful. That doesn’t me@n that you shouldn’t try.

In the meantime we have heard that ASADA is selling the sensors at around £48 each inc VAT relief . I believe you have to order them , fill in a Vat exemption form and collect them when they come in, it might be worth checking other supermarkets @nd chemists too. I know this is not much help to you , I hope others here will be able to help

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum. I love my Libre, it has been a big help to me .
Sadly as most T1 people are unable to get this system unless they meet very strict criteria, I think it’s unlikely that you will be successful. That doesn’t me@n that you shouldn’t try.

In the meantime we have heard that ASADA is selling the sensors at around £48 each inc VAT relief . I believe you have to order them , fill in a Vat exemption form and collect them when they come in, it might be worth checking other supermarkets @nd chemists too. I know this is not much help to you , I hope others here will be able to help

thanks Lin, I think I will end up paying for the freestyle libre, but am going to try GP. wonder how much month of metformin would cost - GP is presurising me to take this but really don't want to.

rgds, paul

Hi Paul & welcome to the forum.:) I noticed you were asking me in other threads how I managed to achieve my results. It was basically just by going low carb. I've cut out potatoes, rice, pasta & normal bread, as well as cakes & sweet things. I've replaced potatoes with less carby root veg such as celeriac, swede or turnip, have cauli rice, soy bean pasta & now make my own wheat free bread, though used to have Burgen Soya & Linseed which is lower carb than other breads.

Even two weeks of BG tests are very informative. They tell you what your bg is in the middle of the night. If you went out to do some exercise. Your more in charge. Good luck Paul.

Back