FreeStyle Libre

Has anybody had a similar experience?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

peter openshaw

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have used this system from soon after it`s introduction and have generally sung it`s praises. Recently however, I and my wife were involved in a serious car crash and, although we both escaped without injury, the effect of shock on my BS levels was to make them difficult to control for 2 days or so. During this time the Libre sensor become "saturated" and remained set at 20+ Being unaware of the incorrect readings led me into 2 serious hypo events as I attempted to get control.
I have reported the event to Abbott but all I get from them are bland assurances that the matter is being investigated (in the US ) and they will contact me when their investigation is complete, They have no idea when that will be!!!

Very sorry to hear about your experience Peter, I'm glad you and your wife were not injured. An event such as this would be very unusual and I would be very reluctant to rely on the Libre for accurate readings, I would be using blood tests for safety and confidence. I was recently ill a week into my sensor usage and the readings dropped to LO for practically the duration of the illness, most likely due to dehydration caused by the illness, so extreme circumstances do appear to affect the accuracy and reliability of the sensors.

I have used this system from soon after it`s introduction and have generally sung it`s praises. Recently however, I and my wife were involved in a serious car crash and, although we both escaped without injury, the effect of shock on my BS levels was to make them difficult to control for 2 days or so. During this time the Libre sensor become "saturated" and remained set at 20+ Being unaware of the incorrect readings led me into 2 serious hypo events as I attempted to get control.
I have reported the event to Abbott but all I get from them are bland assurances that the matter is being investigated (in the US ) and they will contact me when their investigation is complete, They have no idea when that will be!!!
Sorry to hear about the accident and glad things are Ok now. There are a few things I have come across that upset the sensors, as indeed there are some that upset readings from Bm strips. Probably best to confirm levels with strips if things seem a bit odd as Abbott suggest.

Unfortunately, I had been separated from my test strips at the time of the accident so was unable to check the readings. It was only a few days after the crash that I could return to the vehicle and retrieve them. I would always check in such a situation especially when in so critical..

Were you in far flung places where they don't have such things and don't have hospitals? - just being nosey cos I've been wracking my brain to imagine a situation where I would ever be completely unable to test for more than an hour or two and I can't.

Sorry about your accident . That has nothing to do with testing your bg’s. You cannot drive without strips or meter. Where is your spare meter, boots the chemist etc.. sorry about your accident but libre has nowt to do with it mate,.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back