Freestyle Libre "Signal Loss" problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

LancashireLass

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone 🙂

I can see a very recent post about this already but did not want to hijack that thread, so if the mods would rather merge the two then please do as my question is very similar.

I too was having problems with the signal loss alarm, at all times but especially during the night (even though my phone is on the bedside table right next to me). I have turned the alarm off as it was driving me crazy but my problem now is that the app just permanently says "signal loss" and does not give any figure. If I scan it, it will read and there is no gap in the graph once I do that so I don't know what is going on.
I'm finding that because my Bluetooth is constantly on and searching, my phone battery is draining super quickly and it is a real pain in the neck to be honest!
If I leave my Bluetooth off and just scan every hour or so, would that be ok? Or does it have to be on for it to work?

If I leave my Bluetooth off and just scan every hour or so, would that be ok? Or does it have to be on for it to work?
If you want alarms you need Bluetooth on. Otherwise it'll be fine so long as the gap between two scans is no longer than 8 hours. (That's how Libre 1 and Libre 2 worked. The sensors store the last 8 hours, so scanning will fill in up to 8 hours.)

I don't want the alarms so will just scan the thing every hour or so and turn my Bluetooth off in that case
Thanks for the reply

I have very limited experience, being on day 11 of the 14 day trial.

When my sensor loses connection due to me wandering away from the phone, readings resume as soon as the connection is re-established. Scanning the sensor then fills in the gap in the graph as you've found, so that seems to be expected behaviour.

Has this ben the case with other sensors?

As I posted on the other thread, is your phone on the compatible list?

Libre 1 didn't have Bluetooth at all, so only supported scanning (using NFC). Each sensor stored the last 8 hours of readings (one every 15 minutes together with some small number of recent readings, I think one a minute).

Libre 2 added Bluetooth for alarms, and the software was recently updated to allow that in place of scanning. The sensors themselves haven't changed and still support scanning.

I have very limited experience, being on day 11 of the 14 day trial.

When my sensor loses connection due to me wandering away from the phone, readings resume as soon as the connection is re-established. Scanning the sensor then fills in the gap in the graph as you've found, so that seems to be expected behaviour.

As I posted on the other thread, is your phone on the compatible list?
That's the thing though, I'm not away from my phone it's literally right next to me all the time but every time I look at the Libre app it just says "signal loss" and there is no reading, so I have to scan.
I think I will keep my Bluetooth off and just scan using NFC as suggested, because I can't have it constantly draining my phone battery the way it does, it's a massive pain

Hi LancashireLass, bluetooth should not be draining your battery unless you are streaming music to say a BT speaker. Difficult to say but without knowing what phone you are using. You could try just restarting the phone, you can also clear the bluetooth cache and remove any unused devices from the bluetooth memory list.

Age is a big problem with phones, manufacturers stop updating them and they basically become obsolete, if its an older phone I would say try and get a reader or start looking for a new phone, unless you are happy just to scan of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back