Freestyle libre sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Goodmorning pps!

I'm relatively new to sensors(think this is my 5th one)
Noticed this morning that I was alarming about 10 mins after breakfast (checked with a follow up finger prick test) it's showing my sensor as at least 3+ Mmols lower than the finger prick.
Thoughts??
Should I replace sensor or ride it out and hope it settles?
Thanks in advance.
A

Some sensors take a little while to settle. Some take several days!

The chances are it will settle in time, and you may need to do a little mental arithmetic in the meantime 🙄

Keep a record of readings and if you thunk the sensor isn’t performing as expected, contact Abbott who will review your readings and may offer a replacement.

Though their helpline will be pretty stretched at the moment because of the ongoing app-upgrade nightmare that is unfolding for them 😱

My guess would be that your levels were dropping fast when you ate breakfast and then the food you ate releases glucose but the algorithm in the Libre extrapolates your previous readings to try to predict what your interstitial fluid will be in 15 mins because interstitial fluid lags behind blood by about 15 mins, so the algorithm tries to factor that in and predicts that you will be hypo soon/or are hypo.... when in fact your breakfast is already bringing levels back up. This is the reason why you should always double check hypos or hypers reported by Libre before treatment and particularly follow up testing after treating a hypo because it is not reliabe at these times of rapidly changing BG levels. If you want to check how reliable your Libre is compared to your BG levels (finger prick), then you need to choose a time when your lkevels are nice and stable with an horizontal arrow to compare them.
My feeling is that this sensor is fine and you have just compared readings at a time when there will be a significant discrepancy due to the algorithm. Understanding how the Libre works and it's limitations is an important part of trusting the information it gives you and knowing when it is likely to be wrong and needs double checking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back