Freestyle Libre - on holiday and in the sea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickie08

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Morning all, I have had diabetes 1 for 16 years and have had libre 2 sensor since February now so it's all very new to me. Does anyone have as my advice about going on holidays with sensor, are they reliable in remote areas and how much in water i.e. the sea

Welcome to the forum @nickie08

I've split your post into its own thread so that it doesn't get lost on that other lengthy Libre conversation.

I think the official line is that you can gently surface-swim or paddle with Libre for up to 30 minutes. I believe it is rated IP67 which is water resistant rather than waterproof.

Abbott say. "Sensor is water resistant in up to 1 metre (3 feet) of water for a maximum of 30 minutes. Do not immerse longer than 30 minutes. Not to be used above 10,000 feet."

However anecdotal accounts from some wearers and blogs are that Libre as survived the rigours of beach wear (and even somewhat surprisingly some scubadiving).

I guess it's just not something that Abbott can guarantee.

Hope that helps?

I am going on a Med. Cruise soon and am concerned . Does my Librelink 2 work if there is no internet? Anyone please let me know

Morning all, I have had diabetes 1 for 16 years and have had libre 2 sensor since February now so it's all very new to me. Does anyone have as my advice about going on holidays with sensor, are they reliable in remote areas and how much in water i.e. the sea
A waterproof patch will help. Amazon sell them. i found staying in an unfamiliar room, doing different things and much more, all contrived to dislodge the sensor and these patches will help to avoid this. But, would whatever you’ve been using for the last 16 years not work for a couple of weeks?

A waterproof patch will help. Amazon sell them. i found staying in an unfamiliar room, doing different things and much more, all contrived to dislodge the sensor and these patches will help to avoid this. But, would whatever you’ve been using for the last 16 years not work for a couple of weeks?
Thank you have ordered now waterproof patches and I will taking my test strips to check readings just in case.

If I am on a beach holiday, then I take a tagadrem waterproof covering, one for each day in the pool. Carefully take it off (bit of a faff) at end of each day and apply a new one over the libra sensor. Mine survived rapids, wavepools and crazy slides. Check and scan blood glucose regularly, sometimes after every slide, cos the number of steps involved getting to the top can be quite exerting. Also give lifeguard some glucose tablets and make them aware.

If I am on a beach holiday, then I take a tagadrem waterproof covering, one for each day in the pool. Carefully take it off (bit of a faff) at end of each day and apply a new one over the libra sensor. Mine survived rapids, wavepools and crazy slides. Check and scan blood glucose regularly, sometimes after every slide, cos the number of steps involved getting to the top can be quite exerting. Also give lifeguard some glucose tablets and make them aware.
Thank you for advice ☺️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back