Freestyle Libre not available on prescription for type 2’s

Status
Not open for further replies.

poohbear

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am at my wits end. I am diabetic type 2 with severe mental health difficulties. I am on daily insulin and have to finger prick 2 x daily. I have a lifetime extreme fear of needles and really really struggled to finger prick to the point now, i just cannot under any circumstances do it, therefore because of not knowing my levels, I cannot regulate how much insulin i need to take, so i am becoming even sicker. Currently trying the freestyle libre for a 2 week free trial and my stress has been lifted. I inserted the sensor no problem and take regular readings. However this can only be given on prescription to type 1’s and my surgery is sticking to this rule. Can type 2’s not be looked at on a case by case basis? Can anyone where I can go or whom to speak too about trying to change this rule for not only me but others like me? I need help please. Thanks

Criteria states you must be on MDI (multiple daily injections) which is classed as someone on a basal/bolus regime

Libre's aren't problem free and should be checked against a finger prick at least occasionally anyway especially when at higher or lower levels as they are calibrated to work best at "in range" levels so even being prescribed the Libre it wouldn't eliminate finger pricking from your life

May I ask if you can inject insulin what is the difference that you can't manage a finger prick? xx

@poohbear sorry to read about your problems.
You say your GP is refusing to prescribe Libre. Do you have access to a dedicated diabetes consultant? For people with Type 1, a GP is unable to prescribe Libre - only a consultant can request this.

Have you spoken to the Diabetes Support line (their number is at the top of the page)? They may be able to provide some guidance.

I have a needle phobia @poohbear Getting Type 1 freaked me out and it was, and is occasionally, a struggle. However, the finger pricker I have is a million times better than the old guillotine type ones. Can I ask what pricker you’re using? The pricker’s lancet should only prick your finger a tiny distance in and is very different to an injection. Getting the right pricker and meter was a big thing for me.

@Inka I think your following my thoughts, I'm wondering if the issue with pricking is that they use a lancing device in where you can see the actual needle and was wondering if the fastclix would be a solution xx

Yes, it’s a combination of things - soft action, multiple depths, not seeing the needle, almost not feeling it, non-chopping action (can’t describe that well but I’ve had prickers I can’t use because they make me nauseous).

Interestingly, the Libre insertion makes me nauseous too, and I struggled at first (couldn’t even watch the video). The only real answer is sheer force of will, which allows most people to deal with it temporarily and get the job done.

I get the phobia, despite having tattoos and a lip piercing I was still terrified of dentist needles etc but I got over needles when I was diagnosed but I would suggest the fastclix to anyone as it is a great device xx

Criteria states you must be on MDI (multiple daily injections) which is classed as someone on a basal/bolus regime

Libre's aren't problem free and should be checked against a finger prick at least occasionally anyway especially when at higher or lower levels as they are calibrated to work best at "in range" levels so even being prescribed the Libre it wouldn't eliminate finger pricking from your life

May I ask if you can inject insulin what is the difference that you can't manage a finger prick? xx
Thank you, it’s hard to explain. But with my insulin injections, I use emla cream beforehand so it numbs the area so i don’t feel the needle + there is no visable blood.

Thank you, it’s hard to explain. But with my insulin injections, I use emla cream beforehand so it numbs the area so i don’t feel the needle + there is no visable blood.
Have you tried the fastclix lancing device? It is really gentle, I have very damaged hands from over washing and roasting hot water and I have my fastclix set on 0.5 depth and it does the job just fine, may I say your very lucky if you've never had visible blood after injecting as I get it quite a lot xx

It may also be important for you to know that the Libre applicator fires a spring loaded needle into your arm similar to a finger pricker but a bit larger and that carries the filament into your arm. They bleed occasionally too. I usually need to blot my sensor after application as there is usually a spot of blood released through the centre hole but very occasionally it can be enough to run down my arm. The Libre can be more intimidating to apply than finger pricking for some people. Not wanting to put you off but just give you realistic expectation. Have you already tried the Libre to see how you find it. If not Abbot are still doing a 2 week free trial if you have a suitable phone to use to scan it.

I wonder if you are also aware that currently only about 50% of Type 1 diabetics get Libre prescribed, so it is by no means guaranteed that you can get it on prescription even if you are Type 1 although we are hoping that the guidelines are going to change that soon and also possibly make it available to some Type 2s. Many of us Type 1s self funded for months/years before getting it on prescription and there are likely still some Type 1s self funding. It doesn't mean an end to self testing and it certainly isn't 100% reliable, so again your expectation may not be realistic. It may also mean that because you are finger pricking less, the times when you need to do some become even more stressful as they are no longer part of your routine.

My thoughts on your situation are to try the fastclix lancing device and see if that helps and try a free trial of Libre by applying to Abbott and see how you get on.

You shouldn’t really feel the lancet much if at all. Obviously you need the blood to test so there’s nothing we can do about that, but having the right pricker and meter makes a big difference. Good pricker, good lancets, good positioning on the finger - they all help. As an example, I used some free lancets from a different brand once and they were awful - thicker and not so sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back