FreeStyle Libre internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if the Freestyle libre app 2 uses Internet or without
Presuming you've configured the details for LibreView it will use data to upload readings to that. I'm not aware of anything else it uses internet for, though that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Even with that enabled it'll work fine without internet access (if you're on a plane or on holiday with data turned off, for example). It'll just upload the data when it again has internet access (perhaps via wifi).

I have been in touch with the Abbots team about having issues with my Freestyle libre 2 app having outdated readings but haven’t been given much help for examples my reading can be 9.7 then it will jump to 10.9
Hope you can help

Are you seeing LibreLink change value when you do not scan?
This may be due to the recent update on the app which allows the app to use Bluetooth and you do not need to scan any more.
You can see this on the graph screen which is much more valuable that just the current number.

If this is the case, the values are not outdated: they are more up to date.

Yes i have seen the recent update I have contacted the Abbotts team they need to update the Freestyle libre 2 app for iPhone users

If you have an account with Abbott, the data gets uploaded to 'the Cloud', so you can view it and get reports in the LibraView website. I don't think having an account and being logged on in LibreLink is mandatory though.

The readings taken by any CGMs are not the same as a finger prick test, they are behind. The finger prick test is measuring the glucose in the blood, so is a 'spot' reading. The CGMs are reading the glucose from the Interstitial fluids (body fluids if you like) and this lags behind the blood glucose. It can be up to about 20 minutes behind, but that varies depending on the person, other factors, etc. I found mine normally lags by around 10 mins. The best thing is to compare the readings when your BG is fairly stable, so between a short time after getting up and eating/drinking anything.

If you have an account with Abbott, the data gets uploaded to 'the Cloud', so you can view it and get reports in the LibraView website. I don't think having an account and being logged on in LibreLink is mandatory though.

The readings taken by any CGMs are not the same as a finger prick test, they are behind. The finger prick test is measuring the glucose in the blood, so is a 'spot' reading. The CGMs are reading the glucose from the Interstitial fluids (body fluids if you like) and this lags behind the blood glucose. It can be up to about 20 minutes behind, but that varies depending on the person, other factors, etc. I found mine normally lags by around 10 mins. The best thing is to compare the readings when your BG is fairly stable, so between a short time after getting up and eating/drinking anything.
Actually, the Libre system is programmed to counteract the lag in interstitial fluid. It uses an algorithm which extrapolates the previous readings forward to predict what the interstitial glucose level would be in 15 mins time.... ie what BG is now.... which works pretty well when levels are relatively stable or changing uniformly but if the rate of change is slowing or increasing significantly or suddenly changes direction, perhaps due to taking fast acting carbs as a hypo treatment, it can end up as much as 30 mins out, because the extrapolation can't predict that change of direction. Those of us using insulin see this all too often when 15 mins after a hypo treatment, Libre will show us as having gone even lower still, whereas finger prick BG will show we have recovered. Another 15 mins later Libre will catch on and the lower reading will orten vanish from the graph as it corrects itself. The same when levels are rising very rapidly and then reach the peak and start to fall.... the Libre continues to extrapolate upwards for a while until the change of direction registers and it adjusts itself, so peaks and troughs can look higher than they actually are.

There is a technical fault on my Freestyle Libre 2 app and it’s frozen I’m using an IPhone 14 the app needs to be checked out

There is a technical fault on my Freestyle Libre 2 app and it’s frozen I’m using an IPhone 14 the app needs to be checked out
When you say “frozen”, what are you seeing on the screen? Do you have Bluetooth turned on? What happens when you scan the sensor?

Yes my Bluetooth is turned on saying signal loss or sensor error I have tried turning it off I have tried emailing Abbotts team because the real time glucose readings is not right but they don’t understand me

First of all, you do need to keep your phone fairly close to the sensor. If you get a signal loss, just scan the sensor and it should pick up the missed readings and fill in the gaps in your graph.

You are presumably getting some readings as you say they are inaccurate. Are they a long way out from finger pricks? - if so, it is most likely it’s the sensor that’s faulty.

Yes my Bluetooth is turned on saying signal loss or sensor error I have tried turning it off I have tried emailing Abbotts team because the real time glucose readings is not right but they don’t understand me
Signal lost typically means your phone was too far away from the sensor.
Sensor error is a completely different problem. It usually means that the sensor has failed and needs to be replaced. If you contact Abbott (either via phone or using the form on their website), they will give you a new sensor.
My understanding is that emailing Abbott is unlikely to get a response. It may not reach the support engineers.

But you also mention the "real time glucose readings is not right". This is 3rd possible thing. This suggests the readings are inaccurate.

What is the problem you are experiencing?

How long is ages?
if this problem is urgent, phoning them should get you a faster response.

My sensor has just failed for no apparent reason and I contacted Abbott on the helpline. I had great difficulty understanding the initial menu choice (very indistinct) and the advisor I was passed on to was almost impossible to understand, with a very thick accent. I think she was asking me about whether I had had a seizure - but I couldn’t be sure! I have no history of anything like that thank goodness, all I was doing was watching television when it failed! They are sending a new sensor in the next three days, so it’s back to the fingerstick til then.

It doesn’t sound as if using the online form is a better method of contact.

Is it possible that my phone rather than the sensor is at fault (iPhone SE)?

Is it possible that my phone rather than the sensor is at fault (iPhone SE)?
Might just be bad luck and next time you'll find it easier to hear them.

They're asking about a seizure because they want to report the failure properly and consequences like that are obviously significant (even though they're thankfully unlikely).

Fair enough - I wondered if I had misheard.

I do wonder if the failure (first one since I started months ago) was due to overheating, as I was waiting for the bus in the sun with only a thin sleeve covering the device.

Presuming you've configured the details for LibreView it will use data to upload readings to that. I'm not aware of anything else it uses internet for, though that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Even with that enabled it'll work fine without internet access (if you're on a plane or on holiday with data turned off, for example). It'll just upload the data when it again has internet access (perhaps via wifi).
Hello, there is also the “LibreLinkUp” follower app (for carers or parents to monitor with.) that the device would need either data or Wi-Fi connection to send to.?
Same as libreview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back