Freestyle Libre 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adehem

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi Guys,
I am going on holiday soon and I love to snorkel. the problem is I now have a libre 2 and have a disc on my arm. Do any of you guys go swimming with it on? Another problem is my reader as after about 15 mins it starts bleeping if I am away from it. I believe the sensor can go in water for a max of 30 mins.

Hi Guys,
I am going on holiday soon and I love to snorkel. the problem is I now have a libre 2 and have a disc on my arm. Do any of you guys go swimming with it on? Another problem is my reader as after about 15 mins it starts bleeping if I am away from it. I believe the sensor can go in water for a max of 30 mins.
I can’t help on the swimming bit, but regarding the reader, you could just go into the settings menu and switch off the alarms while you were out of range. (Go to Settings, Alarms, then 'Signal loss off')

I can’t help on the swimming bit, but regarding the reader, you could just go into the settings menu and switch off the alarms while you were out of range. (Go to Settings, Alarms, then 'Signal loss off')
Yes. I do that anyway (I'm not really relying on the alarms, and I don't want the thing beeping when I leave it to get a cup of coffee and things).

I haven’t personally @Adehem, but I saw people having good experiences with Libre1.

Some people seem to find that the adhesive is a bit vulnerable when it has been wet, so do be careful not to knock it, and take some spares just in case! Be mindful of the depth too, I get the feeling it’s more intended for splashing around rather than diving/surfing?

How often do you anticipate swimming while you are away?

Be mindful of the depth too, I get the feeling it’s more intended for splashing around rather than diving/surfing?
Yes, I think they say 30 minutes at a depth up to 1m, so more about having a bath or shower and swimming rather than diving. (I'm sure people have reported it being fine after doing more so I'm sure the 1m isn't an absolute thing.)

Hi Guys,

That out of range alarm is pain, switched mine off from day one not been activated since.

My distance alarm remains switched off. A nice idea to have it in principle but not in practice.

That `s great thanks should have thought of that one.

Yes, I think they say 30 minutes at a depth up to 1m, so more about having a bath or shower and swimming rather than diving. (I'm sure people have reported it being fine after doing more so I'm sure the 1m isn't an absolute thing.)
I think I will have to forget the snorkel and just have a quick dip. Thanks.

I haven’t personally @Adehem, but I saw people having good experiences with Libre1.

Some people seem to find that the adhesive is a bit vulnerable when it has been wet, so do be careful not to knock it, and take some spares just in case! Be mindful of the depth too, I get the feeling it’s more intended for splashing around rather than diving/surfing?

How often do you anticipate swimming while you are away?
I would have had a few snorkel sessions but think now it will just be a quick dip. I do like swimming in the sea but I will just have to cool off instead. I will turn off the alarm as people have suggested.

Hi. I like to have long hot baths (about 90 minutes) so I use Freestyle Libre waterproof patches from Amazon to cover the sensor but they do not stick to the sensor itself so they are easy to remove to change. They are very good and sometimes they have lasted the whole 2 weeks without needing changing.

I wouldn't be so quick to abandon your idea to snorkel. I am sure we had a member a few years ago who was scuba diving off Egypt with his Libre. Of course it isn't guaranteed to survive below 1m or for more than 30mins submerged but in reality it will likely endure much more. It is also likely more resilient in the cooler sea water than it is in a hot bath or shower.
If it was me I would wear an arm strap to support it and take a spare just in case it and maybe time the trip so that the Libre sensor was near the end of it's life anyway so less to lose if it didn't survive the experience. The worst that can happen is that it comes off or it stops working. You can prevent it coming off by using a strap. If it dies then apply a replacement, but Abbott are unlikely to replace it.
Being diabetic or the technology associated with managing it, should not stop you from doing what you want to do.
I say "Go for it!" but have a back up plan if it dies.... which you should have anyway, since none of us should be replying on Libre implicitly.

Hi. I like to have long hot baths (about 90 minutes) so I use Freestyle Libre waterproof patches from Amazon to cover the sensor but they do not stick to the sensor itself so they are easy to remove to change. They are very good and sometimes they have lasted the whole 2 weeks without needing changing.
I have looked at Amazon thanks for the tip it looks like the snorkel is back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back