Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacen017

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi Again Everyone!

My antibody test has come back as inconclusive - I tested positive for one thing they were looking for but not the other.

The nurse said that the antibody I tested positive for was present in around 40% of people with T1 and those who have it have about an 80% chance of developing T1.

On the back of this I've been given a prescription for a Libre 2 and I just wondered if anyone would be able to help with a few questions?

* It looks like you have to press very hard for it to apply quickly? I've got a needle phobia and usually have to take it very slow with needles or I can pass out - For the finger prick I have to take the lancet out of the pen and guide it in gently and slowly (and probably more painfully xD). Is there a way to apply the sensor in a similar way?

* Do you feel it inside of your arm/is it uncomfortable?

* How easy is it to be removed unintentionally? I have 3 Siamese cats that are super curious and inquisitive - I can see them trying to play with it when I'm sleeping.

* Does the app work with a smartwatch?

Thanks in advance =)
J

Hi Again Everyone!

My antibody test has come back as inconclusive - I tested positive for one thing they were looking for but not the other.

The nurse said that the antibody I tested positive for was present in around 40% of people with T1 and those who have it have about an 80% chance of developing T1.

On the back of this I've been given a prescription for a Libre 2 and I just wondered if anyone would be able to help with a few questions?

* It looks like you have to press very hard for it to apply quickly? I've got a needle phobia and usually have to take it very slow with needles or I can pass out - For the finger prick I have to take the lancet out of the pen and guide it in gently and slowly (and probably more painfully xD). Is there a way to apply the sensor in a similar way?

* Do you feel it inside of your arm/is it uncomfortable?

* How easy is it to be removed unintentionally? I have 3 Siamese cats that are super curious and inquisitive - I can see them trying to play with it when I'm sleeping.

* Does the app work with a smartwatch?

Thanks in advance =)
J
Hi Jacen,

Applying the sensor is very easy and you do not see the needle. In fact, the needle is only used to apply the sensor which is a fine filament. There is a loud noise when you apply the sensor but no pain from the needle.
It is very very very rare to feel the sensor. If you do, it usually means you have caught a nerve. I have been using Libre for 3 years and caught a nerve once.
Regarding how easy is it to remove, I don't think it is the sort of thing that a cat can remove but there are a few things to look out for such as when walking through a door and when putting your bra on. I have just got used to this and haven't taken a sensor off accidentally for months. Some people wear a band or plaster over their sensor for added protection. I find it is down to application - make sure your arm is clean, dry and has no moisturiser on it and make sure you apply it to a flat part of your as they do not bend.
If you are technically minded, you can get Libre to work with a smartwatch but this requires playing with unofficial apps such as xDrip or Diabox for Android. Without these, you will need to NFC scan the sensor with your phone. My understanding is that, with Libre 2, you still need your phone with a smart watch - it does not connect direct to the watch.

Hi Jacen,

Applying the sensor is very easy and you do not see the needle. In fact, the needle is only used to apply the sensor which is a fine filament. There is a loud noise when you apply the sensor but no pain from the needle.
It is very very very rare to feel the sensor. If you do, it usually means you have caught a nerve. I have been using Libre for 3 years and caught a nerve once.
Regarding how easy is it to remove, I don't think it is the sort of thing that a cat can remove but there are a few things to look out for such as when walking through a door and when putting your bra on. I have just got used to this and haven't taken a sensor off accidentally for months. Some people wear a band or plaster over their sensor for added protection. I find it is down to application - make sure your arm is clean, dry and has no moisturiser on it and make sure you apply it to a flat part of your as they do not bend.
If you are technically minded, you can get Libre to work with a smartwatch but this requires playing with unofficial apps such as xDrip or Diabox for Android. Without these, you will need to NFC scan the sensor with your phone. My understanding is that, with Libre 2, you still need your phone with a smart watch - it does not connect direct to the watch.
Thanks Helli! =)

I feel much better knowing I won't have to see the needle.

The bra isn't going to be a problem for me haha

I'm new to this too (diagnosed T1 a few weeks ago) so I'm afraid I'm no help with your questions, sorry! I was hoping you could tell me how you went about being prescribed a Libre? Was it on the recommendation of your team or was it something you'd inquired about? I'd love one but not sure where to start 🙂

Hope everything goes well for you.

I'm new to this too (diagnosed T1 a few weeks ago) so I'm afraid I'm no help with your questions, sorry! I was hoping you could tell me how you went about being prescribed a Libre? Was it on the recommendation of your team or was it something you'd inquired about? I'd love one but not sure where to start 🙂

Approach your diabetes team about it and tell them how eager you are to try it out, there is a list of criteria to meet to get funding for it, pretty sure if you search Libre criteria on the forum you should be able to find it, sorry I'm in Scotland and criteria varies in England to here xx

I just had a routine call with my diabetes nurse yesterday and she did it herself without asking.

She put me on a course for how to use it later today.

It's weird though because I was told they are only funded through the NHS for type 1 and they haven't diagnosed my type for sure yet

I caught mine on a sweatshirt sleeve once pulling it off after a run.... I was hot and sweaty and a bad time to put pressure on the sensor and it came off with the sweatshirt. I agree sports bra straps are Libre's nemesis and door frames and in the shower..... I scrubbed at least 2 off because I forgot which arm they were on and can't see them on the back of my arm of course.
I bought an arm strap for mine off ebay and not had any problems since. It is kind of like a plastic 3D printed watch face and elastic strap that fits over the sensor edges and just keeps it snug against your arm. I thought it was a little overpriced at about £8 but absolutely worth it for me as my Libre is exposed to quite a lot of knocks and catches on things and I haven't had one knocked or pulled loose/off since I started using it but have caught and pinged the strap quite a few times.

So.....

I just got it today. Is there a "right place" to apply it? Or anywhere on the back of the arm is ok?

I don't want to mess it up before I've even started 😳

Thanks Benny.

I've had a look at that already but thought it looked a little vague. I'm probably overthinking. I usually do when needles are involved haha

So.....

I just got it today. Is there a "right place" to apply it? Or anywhere on the back of the arm is ok?

I don't want to mess it up before I've even started 😳
Firstly, somewhere flat. Sounds odd but the sensor does not bend but our muscles do. So bear in mind any biceps you may have.
The other placement I try is to place it slightly under my arm. Not in the arm pit (that would be painful) but not quite on the back of the upper arm where you are likely to catch it.
Finally, make sure your arm is clean and dry. Some people find it helps to shave a small area if you are particularly hirsute but do not moisturise.

Be aware the first day or two may be less accurate as your body gets use to the alien object you just inserted in your arm. Some people see no effect. I do so apply the sensor 48 hours before activating. The choice is yours.

An hour later and its in.

Thanks so much for putting up with my questions, it's much appreciated!

One more question - Can I turn off NFC on my phone until I need to scan? My battery is already feeling it being on xD

I think if you turn of NFC it may lose the signal to the Libre - I’m not 100% sure though I’m not good with tech (says me who’s studying computer science!) On my phone running everything to do with Libre only uses 2% it says in settings how much battery each app uses

Placing a sensor is quick, easy and painless. just look at the leaflet that comes in the box and ensure you clean the area well so it sticks firmly. Abbott used to supply alcohol wipes with the sensors but have stopped this so I now buy my own.
The new sensors use bluetooth and NFC and bluetooth is brilliant and it communicates with the reader at quite a long distance - I can't comment about using a phone as i don't use one.
Once you get used to the L2 you should find that the data it gathers helps enormously in managing you diabetes.

I think if you turn of NFC it may lose the signal to the Libre
NFC is just for the scanning. There's also a connection for the alarms, and that's Bluetooth. Turning off Bluetooth would prevent the alarms from working, but I think in theory turning NFC on and off would work fine. I'd find it much too annoying to do, but I guess you could.

Doubt it would help with the battery, though. Just powering the screen for long enough to turn NFC on or off would likely take more power than just having NFC on all the time. (That's my guess, anyway.)

One more question - Can I turn off NFC on my phone until I need to scan? My battery is already feeling it being on xD

How old is phone, my battery is running down fast now but its 3 years old, older phone batteries do lose charge faster going by previous phones, even before using libre system.

Unlike Bluetooth, NFC does not consume any battery power scanning for a signal.
I am not convinced it consumes any battery power apart from when scanning so see no reason to turn it off between scans.

You can turn off Bluetooth but then you are missing out on a major part of the functionality - the alarms.

As others have said it isn't the NFC that's draining the battery it's the BT and as mentioned if you want the alarms then BT has to be activated xx

Ah ok, thanks guys.

Must be the BT. I'll just have to buy a power bank.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back