Status
Not open for further replies.

Humy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi,

Lately when I switch arms and apply the sensor on my left arm, it bleeds and muscle aches so I have to remove it and apply in the right arm. Why does this happen? How can I avoid it?
Before diagnosis of Type 1, I lost a lot of weight and fat on my arms so I'm not sure if this is the case.

Are you always putting it in the same spot or rotating where about on your arm you put it? Maybe just been unlucky and hit a sensitive spot

Are you always putting it in the same spot or rotating where about on your arm you put it? Maybe just been unlucky and hit a sensitive spot
I put it on the upper arm. Usually I switch arms every two weeks for the change but last 3 times when I tried to put it in my left arm it pains and bleeds constantly so I have to remove it and put it back in the right arm. I just put it few cm away from the last place. The right arm seems to be less painful.

When you say bleeds constantly, what do you mean? ie. Is it trickling down your arm for 10 mins? Do you apply pressure to stop the bleeding? Are you on blood thinners?

One arm should not bleed more than the other or have more blood vessels near the surface, so I think you have just been unlucky. Most of mine generate a spot of blood that oozes out of the centre hole of the sensor, but if I blot it a few times and press on the sensor it stops. As regards pain, sometimes you do just nip a nerve during insertion. Again, it's just poor luck. I usually find that if I put up with it for a day or two it settles down and I don't notice it anymore, or sometimes a hair will get caught the wrong way in the adhesive during application and pull a bit but again it usually settles down.
Are you contacting Abbott about the issues you are having and getting replacements for the sensors which you are having to remove?

When you say bleeds constantly, what do you mean? ie. Is it trickling down your arm for 10 mins? Do you apply pressure to stop the bleeding? Are you on blood thinners?

One arm should not bleed more than the other or have more blood vessels near the surface, so I think you have just been unlucky. Most of mine generate a spot of blood that oozes out of the centre hole of the sensor, but if I blot it a few times and press on the sensor it stops. As regards pain, sometimes you do just nip a nerve during insertion. Again, it's just poor luck. I usually find that if I put up with it for a day or two it settles down and I don't notice it anymore, or sometimes a hair will get caught the wrong way in the adhesive during application and pull a bit but again it usually settles down.
Are you contacting Abbott about the issues you are having and getting replacements for the sensors which you are having to remove?
No i am not on blood thinners and the blood does not trickle down. It is more like your issue. Blood oozes from the middle and I do gently press it down and it does eventually stop but my arm aches when it moves around. I read its best to remove if bleeding alot to prevent infection.
No, I dont contact Abbott. I just get rid of the old ones and I have some spare previously as my brother was once on the freestyle and is no longer.

There is no risk of infection if it bleeds, so I don't know where you got that idea from. The filament is sterile. Just apply pressure until it stops.
If you can put up with the discomfort for a day it usually settled down. If you need to remove the sensor then contact Abbott and explain why and they will almost certainly replace it.

Thank you for sharing that. I just imagined that with all the blood and not being able to redress until two weeks later may be risky.
I will see how it goes today because I'm due to change it later this evening and keep in mind what you suggested. Thank you. Have a good day 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back