FreeStyle Libre 2 vs FreeStyle Libre 2 Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finwiz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Is there a difference apart from 14days vs 15days and extra day price increase? Cost per day still remains the same.

I'm sure I've seen mentions of improved accuracy and connectivity (though I'm not sure exactly what they mean by connectivity).

In that case one would just opt for the Plus version as the price per day is the same. I use Libre 2 but will consider the change

In that case one would just opt for the Plus version as the price per day is the same.
I think so. I think there are considerations if you have (and use) the Libre 2 Reader, but most people don't have one (and I forget exactly what the issues are).

I have just ordered my next supply, it says on the website you can you use the existing Reader, with the 2plus, I decided to stick to the 2.

I'm sure I've seen mentions of improved accuracy and connectivity (though I'm not sure exactly what they mean by connectivity).
I would hope it means fewer instances of loss of its Bluetooth connection with the smartphone (or perhaps reader). Maybe also a better range, which would lead to fewer instances of loss...
My doctor doesn't have the Libre 2 Plus on his "formulary" (yet), so can't prescribe it - even though Tesco pharmacy say it's on the Electronic Prescription Service (EPS). I think this is something we will work through over the next few weeks.

I would hope it means fewer instances of loss of its Bluetooth connection with the smartphone (or perhaps reader). Maybe also a better range, which would lead to fewer instances of loss...
My doctor doesn't have the Libre 2 Plus on his "formulary" (yet), so can't prescribe it - even though Tesco pharmacy say it's on the Electronic Prescription Service (EPS). I think this is something we will work through over the next few weeks.
Just curious - you being Type 2, how did you manage to get it prescribed on NHS?

Just curious - you being Type 2, how did you manage to get it prescribed on NHS?
The simple answer is that I satisfy the NICE guidelines. (See some way down this page.) This facility is comparatively new for Type 2 Persons - within the last year, I think.
The more complicated answer is that I discussed this with my local Hospital's Community Diabetes Centre, and because of the above and (perhaps!) because I am an enthusiastic user of a comprehensive range of NHS services and medications the nurse recommended to my doctor that I be prescribed the Libre 2 sensors. I had to do a number of online and in-person diabetes courses. I reckon that a CGM is the most useful device available for BG monitoring, and they can only get better and more accurate as time passes. [Still another ten years for the Smart Watch, though...!]

My last Libre 2 sensor failed with multiple connection failures - Abbott replaced it with a Libre 2 plus sensor instead of a Libre 2 one - had a spare Libre 2 so swapped that one on but will wait and see on my next change if it is any better - spoke to my Healthcare team today and they said that they will eventually all migrate to the Libre 2 plus ones so they have asked my GP to change my prescription with immediate effect

My last Libre 2 sensor failed with multiple connection failures - Abbott replaced it with a Libre 2 plus sensor instead of a Libre 2 one - had a spare Libre 2 so swapped that one on but will wait and see on my next change if it is any better - spoke to my Healthcare team today and they said that they will eventually all migrate to the Libre 2 plus ones so they have asked my GP to change my prescription with immediate effect
Yes my nurse said last week that all libre 2s prescriptions will be soon 2 plus. They also talk to some pumps so the hope is HCL will be an option for more people.
Interesting times again.

Has anyone managed to get their prescription upgraded to the 2 Plus? I have to go and get this sorted out with my GP next week as it isn't on my regular prescription yet (I'm still using the ones supplied by the hospital). If you have have you noticed any difference other than the extra day?

Has anyone managed to get their prescription upgraded to the 2 Plus? I have to go and get this sorted out with my GP next week as it isn't on my regular prescription yet (I'm still using the ones supplied by the hospital). If you have have you noticed any difference other than the extra day?
My DSN at the hospital said they would just be rolled out to local GP's soon. We are Tameside & Glossop integrated care, so it will likely vary. I didn't ask for timeframes. But I do have my GP annual review in a few weeks so I may ask.

I can only speak about the local Tesco pharmacy and my GP.
  • Even though the Libre 2 Plus sensors should have been orderable from 1 April, Tesco pharmacy said their EPS (Electronic Prescription Service) featured them only about a month ago, at the end of May.
  • My GP said that the Libre 2 Plus sensors were not available "on their Formulary" (whatever that is) a couple of weeks ago, but a week later they did appear on the list.
  • My first Libre 2 Plus sensors were prescribed ten days ago, but the pharmacy got it wrong, and has reordered the Libre 2 Plus last Monday (three days ago), and again today (Wednesday) when they didn't arrive.
The first batch may turn up tomorrow! Allegedly...
------------
The Freestyle Abbott UK website says:
Existing patients
Wide availability of the FreeStyle Libre 2 Plus sensor is not expected until June 2024 once GP systems have been updated.
From June 2024 onwards, speak to your healthcare team during your routine appointment to discuss transitioning to the FreeStyle Libre 2 Plus sensor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back