Freestyle Libre 2 Reader and fourth failed sensor in 96 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadaBing

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Have just had my 4th Libre 2 sensor fail to provide high/low glucose alarmss since I started using the new Freestyle Libre 2 Reader Abbott sent me last week.

According to Abbott Customer Services there is still no scheduled date for when they will issue an update which will fix (hopefully) the issues to alarms and scanning on some Android and iPhones following updates to Librelink and Android and iPhone operating systems in the last six weeks.

I know you don't like the idea of third party unofficial apps but is it worth using one to check the data is being transmitted over Bluetooth for the alarms? That way you will know if the sensor is at fault and discount that if the third party apps receive data.

I believe the assumption has been made that the problem is with the sensor because you have the same problem with the LibreLink app.and the Reader. However, over years of using Libre, I never had problems with the Bluetooth signal.

As for "can't wait for Dexcom". I found the Dexcom app incredibly basic (makes LibreLink look amazing) and is supported on a very limited range of phones. Plus, I found Dexcom the least accurate CGM I have used (I have used 5 different CGMs).

We are all different and I hope your Dexcom experience is better than mine.

Never had a problem with Libre or Libre 2 using the appropriate reader. Occasional sensor failure, but avoid knocking it or sleeping on it and no problem. Have to assume that it is something in the way you treat it (sounds like a song?). Have nothing but praise for the Libre system. Changed my life 🙂

I know you don't like the idea of third party unofficial apps but is it worth using one to check the data is being transmitted over Bluetooth for the alarms? That way you will know if the sensor is at fault and discount that if the third party apps receive data.

I believe the assumption has been made that the problem is with the sensor because you have the same problem with the LibreLink app.and the Reader. However, over years of using Libre, I never had problems with the Bluetooth signal.

As for "can't wait for Dexcom". I found the Dexcom app incredibly basic (makes LibreLink look amazing) and is supported on a very limited range of phones. Plus, I found Dexcom the least accurate CGM I have used (I have used 5 different CGMs).

We are all different and I hope your Dexcom experience is better than mine.
Thank you!

Abbott sent me a couple of replacement sensors which I received late 23 December. I put one of the sensors on and started it with my new Libre 2 Reader.

And I received a couple of high glucose alarms using the new (5th) Libre 2 sensor on my new Libre 2 Reader.

I have received several more high and low glucose alarms on the Libre 2 Reader over the last few days.

So I believe it is reasonable to deduce that the four previous Libre 2 sensors were faulty in some way.

As for Freestyle LibreLink, an issue was reported on Google Issue Tracker (which I understand App Developers use to report issues with Android OS) in August 2022 that there were compatibility issues with the new Android 13 operating system and how Bluetooth Low Energy functions with the Freestyle Libre app.

Abbott is working to make LibreLink fully compatible with Android 13.

Merry Christmas!

This is the reason I stopped using the Libre and moved to the Dexcom1 and had no problems since.

Never had a problem with Libre or Libre 2 using the appropriate reader. Occasional sensor failure, but avoid knocking it or sleeping on it and no problem. Have to assume that it is something in the way you treat it (sounds like a song?). Have nothing but praise for the Libre system. Changed my life 🙂
Yes, I remember that Beatles song too.

Sometimes products fail; if they didn't, product liability lawyers and consumer law wouldn't exist.

I had a run of four Libre 2 sensors that failed, one after the other. Many other people both here and on other forums have noticed an increased incidence of Libre 2 sensor failures.

I put the Libre 2 applicator together and apply the Libre 2 sensors strictly in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and how my DSN taught me when I used Libre 1 sensors.

My new Libre 2 Reader is working I discovered after putting on a fifth Libre 2 sensor.

I, too, can count on the fingers of one hand how many Libre 1 sensor failures I had.

I also want the Freestyle Libre system to succeed. As long as they continue to make products that work and are fit for purpose.

Librelink is designed a certain way, maintaining compatability with so many types of phone is an issue. I am finishing off my last couple of Libre 1 sensors. I use both Librelink and xdrip (xdrip as cgm and for alarms.)
My last Libre 1 sensor appeared to finish four days early, Librelink said the sensor was finished and that I should start a new one. Xdrip continued to take readings from the 'dead' sensor for the next four and half days right up to the end of its normal two week lifespan.
In this case Librelink was the issue not the sensor, without checking against xdrip and finger prick tests I would have assumed the sensor was at fault.

After years of 14 days with a sensor my last Libre2 continued for 17 days. I then changed it for the one that came with it and that lasted for 16 days, as those two came in the same prescription I’m wondering if they were ‘faulty’ in a good way. Has anyone else had a long life Libre?

After years of 14 days with a sensor my last Libre2 continued for 17 days. I then changed it for the one that came with it and that lasted for 16 days, as those two came in the same prescription I’m wondering if they were ‘faulty’ in a good way. Has anyone else had a long life Libre?

Never, alarm goes off on 14th day to say sensor is expiring, so do you just ignore alarm & sensor just keeps working past expirary time, or are you saying alarm on these sensors went off on days 16 & 17. Just curious.

Never, alarm goes off on 14th day to say sensor is expiring, so do you just ignore alarm & sensor just keeps working past expirary time, or are you saying alarm on these sensors went off on days 16 & 17. Just curious.
I've always found the reader (and apps) just report that the sensor has ended after the 14 days and no longer read it.

I too found the app reports that the sensor has stopped after 14 days.
xDrip extended this by 12 hours.

For 60 years I never had a ‘sweet tooth’ but after my illness and then type 1 diagnosis I seem to have changed. Now I often find I’m on the hunt for biscuits/chocolate and anything sweet. Is this a normal affect of diabetes? Does anyone else have such symptoms and if so how do you deal with it? For me it’s gone on for years with a gradual and dramatic increase in weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back