FreeStyle Libre 2 - questions about app maintenance and platform support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feathers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi! I am type 2, but am also the tech support for my Dad, who is type 1. So these questions relate to his setup.

He has used freestyle libre for a while, with a scanner device (not a mobile as he doesn't currently have one) He's looking at moving to mobile (sounds like that leads to better syncing with the health services, and it would be useful for all of us to have the alarms)
However, looking into the Libre 2 I have some concerns:

• It looks like the scanner app hasn't been updated since March 2021
  • The phone compatibility list is very limited - and at least in the case of Android phones, very outdated (for example, the highest supported Pixel is 4, which was released in 2019).
  • The app has bad reviews. I know people only tend to review when there's an issue, but for a medical device where we'd like to be able to rely on alarms, it really needs to be dependable.
I realise the supported phones list is likely just the official "we actually tested on this" list, and that other devices would probably be ok - but as this move involves the expense of buying a phone, I'm not keen to make it unless I'm sure it'll work.

Does anyone have experience with Libre 2 and scanning on phone?
Does anyone have any guesses if it'll work on newer phones (I was thinking of the Pixel 6A as a cheap-but-decent option)

Any feedback/advice is appreciated!

Many many of us use the LibreLink app and scan on our phones.
There have been issues with it on Apple phone but much less on Android.
The issues leading to the low rating are more likely to be related to sensor problems which you would see with the reader.
The supported phone list is very short but it runs fine on other Android phones provided they are at the correct OS version - my last three phones were not listed but I had no problem with the app.

Be aware that some phones have issues with Bluetooth - Samsung are renowned for this. Some cheaper phones do not have NFC which is needed for scanning. And you need a bit of practice to find the location of the receiver on the phone.

I have a Samsung Galaxay A52s 5G, only had since April and it scans my Libre 2 fine. I also use the reader too, no problem. Abbott don't seem to to many updates compared to other apps.

Another Samsung user don't use any other phone for years, have no issues whatsoever with libre app, tbh never even looked to see if it's on list of approved devices, readings are near enough accurate so good enough for me.

Hi
I contacted Abbott about the phone compatibility guide and apparently it is being updated "soon".

I recently changed phones and lets say it's been a bumpy ride. My old Moto G7+ worked fine but was on it's last legs and past getting security updates.

First attempt was a Samsung A53. It worked as long as I didn't want to use 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi (the most common version) and Bluetooth at the same time. Bluetooth (needed for alarms) knocked out the Wi-Fi. Samsung support was awful. Phone was eventually refunded. The Bluetooth/Wi-Fi issue may have been phone specific but there's enough on the internet to suggest this might not be a one off for Samsung.

Second attempt, which is proving much better is a Google Pixel 6, running Android 12. I've not started a sensor yet on the phone so can't confirm alarms at the moment. The 6a is the same chipset so should be OK.

Having said that Android 13 is out now for Pixel phones. Again I've asked Abbott about this (no reply yet, I'll put up a specific post on this). The risk is that once updated to 13 you can't roll back if it doesn't work.

In the end you want long term android updates and a phone that Abbott might test then your are pretty much limited to Google, Apple or Samsung.

A while back I was running Libre 1 on an outdated Wileyfox with LineageOS. Didn't get asked in those days what you were using. Just as well, they'd have freaked out🙂.

edits: typos

Last edited:
Both our well out of date Sonys died quite recently so we've replaced em with some forrin make we'd never heard of on recommendation from a friend. I've been thinking for a while I really ought to have a go with the App instead of the 'reader' all the while but didn't want to risk it with the Sony cos it did some very strange things sometimes which I always said was because it was worn out, not because of 'me' - but husband of course utterly discounted it - until his started doing some of the same at which point he asked a mutual friend who we both trust in such matters for some advice.

(same as 'my' laptop when odd things occur, again clearly my fault, not the fact it's by now prehistoric ... I'm sick of you, what the hell have you been doing to it this time?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back