FreeStyle Libre 2 - prolonged flatline, then jumped!

ChrisLG

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yesterday my sensor essentially flatlined for 90 minutes, not dropping outside of 7.9 - 8.1...and then it jumped to 12. While I'd like to claim excellent control, if you saw my previous post, my numbers have been bouncing and this flatlining was immediately following a meal. I was checking regularly but it didn't budge. I know sensors can have issues but I've never experienced this, and it is working fine now (another 7 days to go). Anyone else had same. Thank you

I had a similar experience with Libre (over at least 15 months ago). I have an android phone (I have no experience with any iphones). Try:

First close as many open apps as possible. Older phones and smart phones with smaller internal RAM, can just get overloaded and struggle to multi-task properly. My current Samsung A52 is now over 2 years old and recently been inconveniently creating glitches far too frequently. It's been dropped too often and I know I need to replace it!

Then do a simple close of the Libre app. Don't uninstall - just close it. Wait 15+ mins reopen the app.

If still flatlining, restart your phone. For me a long press of the on/off button gives 4 basic choices, including restart. As part of that "closing and restarting process" my understanding is that the phone clears the cache of all apps, removing potential little embedded but unnecessary bits of software code that could create the overloading effect. [Note, I'm a user, not a techie or any sort of tech geek! Please don't ask me why restarts invariably help and resolve glitches; it doesn't work with motor cars!] Once the restart has completed, opened and then Libre "woken up" my sensor reconnected with the app. It also restored the missing data from the last 8 hours, which the sensor had retained; the flat line was no longer flat!

If any of the above helps, I would suggest you should look into your android phone Settings options and look for the Device Care option; then consider a general clean up and if necessary activate any automatic clean up options. Also, if your phone has its share of wear and tear then consider giving your phone's management of the LibreLink app as good a chance as possible by keeping other apps closed. I've switched off many of the app notifications that aren't essential for my daily living. We get lulled into thinking all of these "useful" apps must be a good thing, when there is in practice a "bloatware" problem that just overloads anything but the newest and top of the range phones. Meanwhile LibreLink (or any CGM) is plodding along, doing it's job in the background, using generic software written to work on most makes and models of phone that exist around the world and inevitably not ideally/uniquely compatible with your phone and it's operating system.

If this has not helped then you need to have a discussion with Abbott. Before such a conversation, take some finger pricks to first confirm to yourself that you aren't actually in a very level BG phase (!) and be able to confirm to Abbott that it's the sensor or app that's the problem, not your body!

Have you registered with LibreView, ie is all your LibreLink data also sitting on a web-based platform? It is possible Abbott will tell you to uninstall and reinstall LibreLink. Apart from the nuisance of doing this and the waste of your time etc, you will lose all existing data logged onto LibreLink. But this will still be held on LibreView. If you aren't registered for that platform you might wish to complete that first, then all of your LibreLink data on your phone will automatically get uploaded to LibreView before you lose it from LibreLink. Assuming this data has some interest to you or your Endocrinologist.

Out of curiosity how many of your 40 years managing your D have you spent using CGM? I ask because I have a cousin in his 70s and T1 for +/- 50 years and I wrongly assumed he would have CGM - only to find he didn't, felt he didn't need it after managing for so long and had been rejecting offers from his GP to start using CGM. Now after a few months with Libre, he's catching up on the advantages (as well as the limitations).

Remember to keep well hydrated while wearing sensors too. Some of the time ‘laggy’ and unresponsive / sluggish-to-change sensors for me seem to be at least partly because I haven’t been drinking enough and I’m a bit dehydrated.

My guess is that since the sensor reads glucose values in interstitial fluid (the fluid around cells in tissue under the skin) it relies on a decent amount of fluid through which the glucose can percolate? Or something!

I had the same thing happen. stuck on 2.8 for about 2 hours after I'd eaten lunch. I spoke to Abbott who decided it was broken, it did indeed declare itself all but dead, and they sent me a replacement. But while I was waiting I thought I had nothing to lose so I refreshed the app without removing it and it worked perfectly. That and turning off and on again are worth a try.

I had what appeared to be a very artificially flat horizontal line last night for nearly 5 hours which really threw me when I woke up. It literally looked like it had been drawn with a rule. The only time I have seen such a line was when I did a survey on this forum a few weeks ago and we were given different graphs to comment on and make suggestions as to what action we would take and I said that I would double check such a line with a finger prick because it wasn't normal and might indicate a failed/failing sensor. Well I didn't do that because it would have taken ages to warm my BG meter up enough to do a test (I am resisting turning my heating on until Nov and the house was freezing this morning) and my Libre started rising slightly as soon as I woke up, so still seems to be working fine. What was even more odd was that I took no basal insulin last night and hadn't done any exercise yesterday so I fully expected my levels to be at the top of range or even in double figures.... but here is my graph.....IMG_20241014_094822280.jpg

I had a similar experience with Libre (over at least 15 months ago). I have an android phone (I have no experience with any iphones). Try:

First close as many open apps as possible. Older phones and smart phones with smaller internal RAM, can just get overloaded and struggle to multi-task properly. My current Samsung A52 is now over 2 years old and recently been inconveniently creating glitches far too frequently. It's been dropped too often and I know I need to replace it!

Then do a simple close of the Libre app. Don't uninstall - just close it. Wait 15+ mins reopen the app.

If still flatlining, restart your phone. For me a long press of the on/off button gives 4 basic choices, including restart. As part of that "closing and restarting process" my understanding is that the phone clears the cache of all apps, removing potential little embedded but unnecessary bits of software code that could create the overloading effect. [Note, I'm a user, not a techie or any sort of tech geek! Please don't ask me why restarts invariably help and resolve glitches; it doesn't work with motor cars!] Once the restart has completed, opened and then Libre "woken up" my sensor reconnected with the app. It also restored the missing data from the last 8 hours, which the sensor had retained; the flat line was no longer flat!

If any of the above helps, I would suggest you should look into your android phone Settings options and look for the Device Care option; then consider a general clean up and if necessary activate any automatic clean up options. Also, if your phone has its share of wear and tear then consider giving your phone's management of the LibreLink app as good a chance as possible by keeping other apps closed. I've switched off many of the app notifications that aren't essential for my daily living. We get lulled into thinking all of these "useful" apps must be a good thing, when there is in practice a "bloatware" problem that just overloads anything but the newest and top of the range phones. Meanwhile LibreLink (or any CGM) is plodding along, doing it's job in the background, using generic software written to work on most makes and models of phone that exist around the world and inevitably not ideally/uniquely compatible with your phone and it's operating system.

If this has not helped then you need to have a discussion with Abbott. Before such a conversation, take some finger pricks to first confirm to yourself that you aren't actually in a very level BG phase (!) and be able to confirm to Abbott that it's the sensor or app that's the problem, not your body!

Have you registered with LibreView, ie is all your LibreLink data also sitting on a web-based platform? It is possible Abbott will tell you to uninstall and reinstall LibreLink. Apart from the nuisance of doing this and the waste of your time etc, you will lose all existing data logged onto LibreLink. But this will still be held on LibreView. If you aren't registered for that platform you might wish to complete that first, then all of your LibreLink data on your phone will automatically get uploaded to LibreView before you lose it from LibreLink. Assuming this data has some interest to you or your Endocrinologist.

Out of curiosity how many of your 40 years managing your D have you spent using CGM? I ask because I have a cousin in his 70s and T1 for +/- 50 years and I wrongly assumed he would have CGM - only to find he didn't, felt he didn't need it after managing for so long and had been rejecting offers from his GP to start using CGM. Now after a few months with Libre, he's catching up on the advantages (as well as the limitations).
Thank you very much for your very informative response. Started using CGM c.2 years ago and notwithstanding the occasional issues I consider it a game-changer...although when levels go pear-shaped I use it in conjunction with Jazz BG monitor.

Remember to keep well hydrated while wearing sensors too. Some of the time ‘laggy’ and unresponsive / sluggish-to-change sensors for me seem to be at least partly because I haven’t been drinking enough and I’m a bit dehydrated.

My guess is that since the sensor reads glucose values in interstitial fluid (the fluid around cells in tissue under the skin) it relies on a decent amount of fluid through which the glucose can percolate? Or something!
Many thanks. I should have, but hadn't, made the link between hydration and interstitial fluid. Very useful.

I had the same thing happen. stuck on 2.8 for about 2 hours after I'd eaten lunch. I spoke to Abbott who decided it was broken, it did indeed declare itself all but dead, and they sent me a replacement. But while I was waiting I thought I had nothing to lose so I refreshed the app without removing it and it worked perfectly. That and turning off and on again are worth a try.
Thanks. You're right. Although it shouldn't be the case, I find that the app is noticeably less reliable than it was when I first started using it a few years ago.

One other thing to check on Android phones is that the app is not set to optimised or restricted in the settings. I have a Samsung A52s and to check you need to go to settings->apps->name of app->battery. The phone is regularly reviewing things and over the years I have noticed that even apps I use regularly can be moved to the wrong setting. For something like Libre you need to put it on unrestricted.

I had what appeared to be a very artificially flat horizontal line last night for nearly 5 hours which really threw me when I woke up. It literally looked like it had been drawn with a rule. The only time I have seen such a line was when I did a survey on this forum a few weeks ago and we were given different graphs to comment on and make suggestions as to what action we would take and I said that I would double check such a line with a finger prick because it wasn't normal and might indicate a failed/failing sensor. Well I didn't do that because it would have taken ages to warm my BG meter up enough to do a test (I am resisting turning my heating on until Nov and the house was freezing this morning) and my Libre started rising slightly as soon as I woke up, so still seems to be working fine. What was even more odd was that I took no basal insulin last night and hadn't done any exercise yesterday so I fully expected my levels to be at the top of range or even in double figures.... but here is my graph.....View attachment 31971
Thanks for this. And even with the flatlining, I'd be very happy to get that sort of excellent control.

I think any of us would be happy with such a graph!

But returning to your observation #8:
Thanks. You're right. Although it shouldn't be the case, I find that the app is noticeably less reliable than it was when I first started using it a few years ago.
I would attribute some of that to a phone accumulating a fair amount of Libre data over the last 2 years on LibreLink, working within the constraints of older software barely altered since Libre 2 was released in early 2020 (?) amidst constantly bloating software, on increasingly larger and faster smart phones.

I ought to add, @ChrisLG, I got my first Libre 2 in Feb '21 and spent 12 months with a thoroughly unreliable CGM. My Libre2 failure rate exceeded 50% and Abbott replaced every one. Despite that unreliability it was still a game changer, opening my eyes to what could be possible if better. Gradually I realised that Libre 2 and my body were incompatible and I tried the older Dexcom One which was clunky but better than L2; I self-funded the Dex G7 for 4 months and my Hospital stepped up and took over that funding. G7 is so much better - but at risk of being churlish it is still a product that could so easily be improved.

You might, @ChrisLG, consider asking your GP to let you trial the new Dex One+, which is cost neutral to the NHS budget and you might find that as a further improvement on L2. But check your phone is compatible with the Dexcom One+; this sensor app is not as ubiquitous as Libre 2 (but I know Dexcom are working on that).

Also I have both a phone app and an L2 Reader as well as the Dexcom G7 Receiver (the equivalent of Libre's hand held Reader). The Readers/ Receivers are specially designed to work with their sensors and if the sensor is fine, then you continue to get readings. With an L2 Reader you have to manually scan, but Dexcom's Receivers display without needing to scan; a further bonus point for Dexcom. Both are available on prescription at the same cost ti the NHS. The Dexcom Receivers are small, light and very easy in a pocket; with a much more modern feel to them (as they should be since the Sensors of the One+ and G7 are new to market). Overall I was grateful for the L2 Reader, when the app played up, and I thoroughly appreciate and use a lot my G7 Receiver because bit works totally independently of my phone and is markedly more convenient for a quick BG status check.

Have you read the thread on CGM limitations? It is pinned as the second topic in the Pumping and Technology section ofvthis forum.

I think any of us would be happy with such a graph!

But returning to your observation #8:

I would attribute some of that to a phone accumulating a fair amount of Libre data over the last 2 years on LibreLink, working within the constraints of older software barely altered since Libre 2 was released in early 2020 (?) amidst constantly bloating software, on increasingly larger and faster smart phones.

I ought to add, @ChrisLG, I got my first Libre 2 in Feb '21 and spent 12 months with a thoroughly unreliable CGM. My Libre2 failure rate exceeded 50% and Abbott replaced every one. Despite that unreliability it was still a game changer, opening my eyes to what could be possible if better. Gradually I realised that Libre 2 and my body were incompatible and I tried the older Dexcom One which was clunky but better than L2; I self-funded the Dex G7 for 4 months and my Hospital stepped up and took over that funding. G7 is so much better - but at risk of being churlish it is still a product that could so easily be improved.

You might, @ChrisLG, consider asking your GP to let you trial the new Dex One+, which is cost neutral to the NHS budget and you might find that as a further improvement on L2. But check your phone is compatible with the Dexcom One+; this sensor app is not as ubiquitous as Libre 2 (but I know Dexcom are working on that).

Also I have both a phone app and an L2 Reader as well as the Dexcom G7 Receiver (the equivalent of Libre's hand held Reader). The Readers/ Receivers are specially designed to work with their sensors and if the sensor is fine, then you continue to get readings. With an L2 Reader you have to manually scan, but Dexcom's Receivers display without needing to scan; a further bonus point for Dexcom. Both are available on prescription at the same cost ti the NHS. The Dexcom Receivers are small, light and very easy in a pocket; with a much more modern feel to them (as they should be since the Sensors of the One+ and G7 are new to market). Overall I was grateful for the L2 Reader, when the app played up, and I thoroughly appreciate and use a lot my G7 Receiver because bit works totally independently of my phone and is markedly more convenient for a quick BG status check.

Have you read the thread on CGM limitations? It is pinned as the second topic in the Pumping and Technology section ofvthis forum.
Much appreciate this full/useful response. I have the L2 Reader and perhaps should be using this (with the BG monitor) when control is poor...in that the app is possibly the "weakest link". I suppose that the more devices on hand for measuring (and I do like the sound of a non-scanning G7), the greater the tendency to rotate through them and then have to decide between what may be results that are significantly different. Thanks again.

Any prolonged flat line always makes me suspicious, so I fingerprick just to check where I am. I’m on the G7 now so it doesn’t often happen but on the Libre it happened a few times.

Back