FreeStyle Libre 2 Plus sensor availability, as from June 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Gray

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I note that the Abbott (UK) website now says the following:

"Wide availability of the FreeStyle Libre 2 Plus sensor is not expected until June 2024 once GP systems have been updated.
[even though it was put on the Drug Tariff and Discount Not Deducted (DND) list from 1st April 2024 - JG]
From June 2024 onwards, speak to your healthcare team during your routine appointment to discuss transitioning to the FreeStyle Libre 2 Plus sensor."

"FreeStyle Libre 2 Plus Sensor

FreeStyle Libre 2 Plus sensor is the latest innovation to the existing FreeStyle Libre 2 system. It conveniently works with the current FreeStyle Libre 2 reader and FreeStyle LibreLink app.
  • 15-day sensor wear
  • Unsurpassed 15 day accuracy
  • Optional glucose alarms
  • Indicated for ages 2 years and older
For those who self-fund, the price has been increased proportionally to £51.74 (exc. VAT), which is the same £3.45 per day as for the current Libre 2 sensor.

I note that the Abbott (UK) website now says the following:

"Wide availability of the FreeStyle Libre 2 Plus sensor is not expected until June 2024 once GP systems have been updated.
[even though it was put on the Drug Tariff and Discount Not Deducted (DND) list from 1st April 2024 - JG]
From June 2024 onwards, speak to your healthcare team during your routine appointment to discuss transitioning to the FreeStyle Libre 2 Plus sensor."

"FreeStyle Libre 2 Plus Sensor

FreeStyle Libre 2 Plus sensor is the latest innovation to the existing FreeStyle Libre 2 system. It conveniently works with the current FreeStyle Libre 2 reader and FreeStyle LibreLink app.
  • 15-day sensor wear
  • Unsurpassed 15 day accuracy
  • Optional glucose alarms
  • Indicated for ages 2 years and older
For those who self-fund, the price has been increased proportionally to £51.74 (exc. VAT), which is the same £3.45 per day as for the current Libre 2 sensor.
What are the key differences between the 2 and the 2 plus other than one additional days life and smaller size?

What is different about the Libre 3? I don’t find the Abbot UK website that easy to navigate

What are the key differences between the 2 and the 2 plus other than one additional days life and smaller size?

The Linre 2 Plus and the Libre sensors are the same size! The Libre 3 sensor is smaller than the Libre 2 ones.
The Libre 2 Plus is supposed to be somewhat more accurate than the Libre 2, and have better BlueTooth connectivity. But other than those differences, and the ones in my original post, they are much the same. Hopefully, newer means better.

What is different about the Libre 3? I don’t find the Abbot UK website that easy to navigate

Even more so, since there are many differences between the UK and the US Abbott websites!
See Abbott's CGM comparer, for differences between Libre 2 and Libre 3.
The other difference not mentioned is that you can't get the Libre 3 on the NHS (yet?) unless you are Type 1 with an insulin pump. (I think!)

Libre 2 plus is the same size as Libre 2. It is not smaller.
I understand the plus is more accurate.

Libre 3 is smaller but not available to purchase in the UK.

Well, true it is if you have to pay for it yourself - but neither you nor I have to since we get it prescribed free of charge by the NHS. We were both informed as children that the NHS was there to look after us from the cradle to the grave and so far mostly for me, they have and still do, although the system has become more difficult to navigate round in recent years.

Great news. We now only need 24 per year instead of 26, which aligns with the 2 per month which I was told I would get prescribed.

Great news. We now only need 24 per year instead of 26, which aligns with the 2 per month which I was told I would get prescribed.
Strange. I do my scripts online and always put in a request 28 days after the last one and sometimes a few days earlier to take account of the occasional rogue one (or the one I knocked off recently).

For anyone interested, my Tesco pharmacist tells me that the Abbott FreeStyle Libre 2 Plus sensors can be ordered and dispensed, on receipt of a prescription. Presumably self-funders could also get them now, if they wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back