• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

FREESTYLE LIBRE 2 OR FINGER PRICKS FOR ME?

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
17:31pm - 9.4 - finger prick - random
17:32pm - 9.2 - freestyle libre - random scan

Pretty good eh?

Apart from one dodgy L2 all mine have been close too.

18:30pm - 7.1 - finger prick - random
18:30pm - 5.8 - Freestyle libre scan - random

If I was just using the freestyle libre I would have to go with that ie 5.8 for mealtime bolus - I need to make a decision on wether I'm going to finger prick or use freestyle libre hmmmm

Last edited:
Well you're not supposed to rely on the libre for Dose adjustments and/,or treating hypos. It's supposed to be a guide.

Well you're not supposed to rely on the libre for Dose adjustments and/,or treating hypos. It's supposed to be a guide.

Hi @Spozkins thanks for your reply - when you say dose adjustments do you mean mealtime bolusing?

I think it's using it just as a guide that's throwing me

Hi @Spozkins thanks for your reply - when you say dose adjustments do you mean mealtime bolusing?

I think it's using it just as a guide that's throwing me
I think if your glucose is fairly stable then it's okay to meal time bolus using the libre but if you are correcting then I think the fingerprick should be used.

I quite often use the sensor but fingerprick at mealtimes just to be sure, and if im certain the sensor is accurate I may finger test less often.

I think if your glucose is fairly stable then it's okay to meal time bolus using the libre but if you are correcting then I think the fingerprick should be used.

I quite often use the sensor but fingerprick at mealtimes just to be sure, and if im certain the sensor is accurate I may finger test less often.

My bg have always been erratic since 1992.
I do prefer to fingerprick before meals.

I believe Freestyle Libre2 is now rated as accurate enough by the FDA in the US to be used as part of a hybrid-closed-loop, which would include bolus and corrections like the Dexcom G6

I believe Freestyle Libre2 is now rated as accurate enough by the FDA in the US to be used as part of a hybrid-closed-loop, which would include bolus and corrections like the Dexcom G6

I thought originally it was supposed to be accurate enough but upon checking I see the NHS are still recommending finger pricks. I think when accurate it's spot on, but I've had more issues with inaccuracy with the 2 than the 1 unfortunately and I think a few times it's caused me some upset over control when I haven't realised.

Like 1 find 2 is out when high & low, other than that find it pretty accurate when doing bg test, lot better than 1. Only compare 1x day at various times to keep eye on sensor performance.

I have found that for me the 2 seems to be unable to scan more often than the 1, when changes are quick. My current has been unable to scan for around 20 -30 mins following my daily walk.

Back