Freestyle libre 2 and Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downhamc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Can anyone help with the best protection for sensor in sea water and also protection against sand.

Hi and welcome.

I don't believe it needs any protection from sea or sand as long as it isn't submerged under water for more than I think it is 20 mins at a time although people have stayed in the water longer and not had problems I believe. I think that limit is the Libre guidance.
If you want to provide extra protection, then there are over stickers available specifically designed for Libre (some quite bonny ones) or just plain medical tape or patches like Tegaderm or Micropore etc.
I use an arm band which has a 3D printed open watch face which just provides the sensor with additional support because my lifestyle working with animals and outdoors puts my sensors at increased risk, but Abbott do not recommend any covering and you do have to be careful that anything you use doesn't place too much additional pressure on the sensor which could cause it to compress the tissue underneath leading to inaccuracy..... in the same manner that sleeping on the sensor can cause a "compression low".

Can anyone help with the best protection for sensor in sea water and also protection against sand.

I do have some pretty stickers but I’ve never used them. I’ve been swimming for more than an hour (although the Libre wasn’t underwater continuously as I moved about the pool). I’ve also been in the sea and on the beach with it and didn’t even think about sand. I would think you’d be ok unless you were planning on being buried in the sand as part of that traditional family game :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back