Freestyle Libre 2 and 3 questions - supply and use

dasc624

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello

I am prescribed 2 x Libre 2 sensors monthly.
Recently, my pharmacist changed (they bought out the one I had chosen (and was happy with)).

Currently I am having problems getting the sensors from them (now 10 days since prescription was issued) - it is claimed that the sensors are in short supply since Abbott introduced the Libre 3.
Blunt question - am I being lied to?

If I do have to move to Libre 3, will I have to use my phone as a reader?

Thanks for any help

Update: sorted now, there was no supply problem, just pharmacy being useless.
Regarding Libre 2+, DSN says they are not on general prescription here and have only been issued to pump users (I inject).

Last edited:
I have not heard about any supply issues for Libre. However, it maybe that Abbott are phasing out Libre 2 in preference of Libre 2+. This latest version is pretty much the same as Libre 2 except is it supposed he more accurate and last 15 days. I believe it can be used with the reader.
Your GP will need to update your prescription but the price is the same so should not be a problem for them.

Libre 3 is different, more expensive and complies with a different NICE requirement.

Some times shortages can be localised with one distributor (who may supply several local pharmacies). The default seems to be to blame “the manufacturer”, but my experience is that it is usually supply and distribution glitches, rather than a hold-up at the factory.

You may want to phone around, and then request the prescription back from your usual pharmacy if you find another locally that has a different supply chain.

Working around patchy shortages and pharmacy distributor failings just seems to be part and parcel of living with a long-term condition now :(

I have my insulin vials on back-order at the moment 🙄

The last couple of times I have ordered from Abbott the Libre 2 , seems to be no longer available,only the 2+.

Back