Freestyle librasystem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libbyapril

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi i cant see anywhere else to put this post hoping someone can help i use freestyle libra 2 all has been well but recently its been alarming to say i am going low when i test via finger prick I'm well within range i am really confused i know when i am going low so not sure what to do iv even changed sensor in case it wasn't on right any one able to help please

Quick starter question? What type of phone and software level are you using? I am having countless problems with Android's rubbish Version 14! I assume you have the CGM software?

When is this occurring? Is it at night?
If so, or is likely to be compression lows. This happens with all CGMs and all phones (or readers).
When pressure is applied to sensors, for example, when lying on your arm in your sleep, will result in false lows

Hi i cant see anywhere else to put this post hoping someone can help i use freestyle libra 2 all has been well but recently its been alarming to say i am going low when i test via finger prick I'm well within range i am really confused i know when i am going low so not sure what to do iv even changed sensor in case it wasn't on right any one able to help please
Like others have said, it could be compression. Sometimes the sensor can take up to a day to right itself but I find with recent sensors, this is very very rare. What are the numbers - fingerprick vs sensor? how long has the sensor been active?

Like others have said, it could be compression. Sometimes the sensor can take up to a day to right itself but I find with recent sensors, this is very very rare. What are the numbers - fingerprick vs sensor? how long has the sensor been active?
Or it's just a bad sensor (or one that didn't embed itself correctly).

Quick starter question? What type of phone and software level are you using? I am having countless problems with Android's rubbish Version 14! I assume you have the CGM software?
Hi its an iphone xs max getting very disheartened

Ring Abbott and report it, they'll send you a new one. OTOH - at the lower and upper end of the 3.9 to 10.0 range - they do tend to read a bit different to fingerpricks. Much more reliable smack in the middle of the range.

Hi its an iphone xs max getting very disheartened
by how much does it vary?
I've seen a fingerprick difference between the digits on one hand of greater than 1.5 before.
You may need to re-calibrate your expectations somewhat. I've found that sensor and fingerprick are only rarely bang-on on agreement.

There is also a lag time between bg as reported by finger prick to that reported by sensor. I forget what that is, I seem to recall it being something like 10 mins or so.

These days I'd report it only if the difference was over say 2.5 and it was persistent. You should always re-test a sensor result against a fingerprick if you think the sensor result is suspect in any case.

edit:

Last edited:
I've seen a fingerprick difference between the digits on one hand of greater than 1.5 before.
It is often commented that meters vary by an absolute amount ( e.g. greater than 1.5).
However, if you consider the standard accuracy for meters is +/-15%, this can vary depending upon the actual reading. For example, if the “real” value is 4.5, two meters (whether finger prick or CGM) could report anything from 3.8 to 5,2. However, if you “real” BG is 12, two meters could report anything between 10.2 and 13.8.
So a variation of 1.5 with high numbers is not unreasonable.

And this is without consideration the limitations of CGMs.

How low does the sensor say you are? Do you treat the low then fingerprick a little later?
For me. The Libre can lag behind the meter on a hypo recovery. (Which I accept. As interstitial fluid takes longer to interpret BG levels from a low.)

As indicated above, the Libre 2 numbers (for glucose in interstitial fluids) tend to be lower than finger prick/Blood Glucose meters give, by a variable amount (at least for me).
I recorded both side-by-side for a few months, and was interested to note (on a few occasions) the same phenomenon as you: that Libre 2 said I was having a hypo (below 4) whereas the finger-prick said something like 6.
I just recite in my mind "Libre 2 Reads Low", and not worry, since I have good hypo awareness.

As indicated above, the Libre 2 numbers (for glucose in interstitial fluids) tend to be lower than finger prick/Blood Glucose meters give, by a variable amount (at least for me).
I recorded both side-by-side for a few months, and was interested to note (on a few occasions) the same phenomenon as you: that Libre 2 said I was having a hypo (below 4) whereas the finger-prick said something like 6.
I just recite in my mind "Libre 2 Reads Low", and not worry, since I have good hypo awareness.
On a relative “flat line,” my Libre 2 is pretty close to my meter. It’s also a lot closer than the first Libre if BGs are on the move too. It’s just a slow response on a rise after a hypo. (As with the libre 1.)
I have good hypo awareness too. Though my meter is my “go to” always. Especially if I need to fix before a planned drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back