Free friendship phone service for older people launched

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A free 24-hour dedicated helpline for older people across the UK has been launched by Esther Rantzen.

'The Silver Line' aims to combat loneliness in the over-65s by providing friendship, information and advice through calls to trained volunteers.

Chairwoman Ms Rantzen said she hoped the phone line number, 0800 4 70 80 90, would be remembered by all older people when they needed friendship or advice.

The phone line is funded by a ?5m grant from the Big Lottery Fund.

The Department of Health has said that loneliness causes serious physical and mental damage. More than half of the UK's over-75s live alone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25056351

Sounds like a great idea 🙂 I had a neighbour in his 70s tell me the other day how isolated he felt from modern society, which felt so removed from what he knows :(

Last edited:
Great idea, I see a lot of older people being referred into mental health services due to being lonely and/or socially isolated, such a crying shame :(

Great idea, I see a lot of older people being referred into mental health services due to being lonely and/or socially isolated, such a crying shame :(

I totally agree with you, its a crying shame that the older generation are left on the shelf, abandoned and forgotten . They have so much to give with their wonderful stories, wit and humour, just a chat and a cuppa.........................🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back