Free Freestyle Libre 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’m suffering from diabetes type 2 and Autism, PTSD, severe depression and anxiety and I would like ask if I could have the device for free because, as I have to monitor my blood glucose for one year, it would be extremely anxiety provoking pricking my fingers six times per day, thanks for your support.

It's a free trial without committing yourself to keep buying them after that.

So people try one, and assess how useful the info they get from it, is.

But in any case - what's to stop you asking whatever doctor wants you to test ?

I have been referred to Xyla diabetes remission program, it takes one year and they want to monitor my weight, blood glucose and blood pressure but they don’t provide me any equipment

Not yet because I’m upset about the expense

At least if you tried the free trial, you’d have a better idea of whether the Libre would suit you. You could also mention your results with it to your doctor or nurse.

It genuinely is free. No tricks.

Would you like to say a bit more about your diagnosis, what your HbA1C is and if you have been prescribed any medication as that may influence how you approach managing your blood glucose.
Finger pricks are painless once you get your technique right but although cheaper than a Libre there is still some cost in the strips as well as the initial cost of the monitor. However if your doctor want you to test then you may be able to persuade them to prescribe a monitor and test strips.

The Xyla site gives little information about how the program works but I assume it incorporates dietary changes with on going support.
As far a that is concerned you may find this link helpful. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Would you like to say a bit more about your diagnosis, what your HbA1C is and if you have been prescribed any medication as that may influence how you approach managing your blood glucose.
Finger pricks are painless once you get your technique right but although cheaper than a Libre there is still some cost in the strips as well as the initial cost of the monitor. However if your doctor want you to test then you may be able to persuade them to prescribe a monitor and test strips.

The Xyla site gives little information about how the program works but I assume it incorporates dietary changes with on going support.
As far a that is concerned you may find this link helpful. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
I think Xyla are doing the NHS referrals for the Newcastle diet based remission program, so basically the very low calorie soups and shakes meal replacement program.

Prescriptions are not free. Someone has to pay for them. In the UK this is paid for via our taxes.
I know many will suggest I am pedantic but it is important when you see how much is wasted because it is considered free.
I am not suggesting the OP intends to waste Libre sensors if they get them on prescription but it is important to remember, apart from the single trial sensor, Abbott does not give them out for free. They still have to be paid for.

it would be extremely anxiety provoking pricking my fingers six times per day
Can you explain why finger pricking is anxiety provoking?
As many of us who have had Type 1 diabetes for decades and have been finger pricking 10 or more times a day can tell you, it is not painful, does not make your fingers unusable and the finger pricking is the least anxiety provoking part of the process. The most anxiety comes from seeing the “wrong” number after the finger prick. CGMs can be more anxiety provoking because you get more data and feel you are “doing it wrong” all the time not just the six times a day that you prick.

Hi @Walter66.

I think you are right about neurodiversity. Until you have experienced it or been close to somebody who has it then you really do not have any appreciation of what a life coloured by those problems is like. Because of this, some comments might appear judgemental but I am sure they are not intended to be so.

In terms of your question, what I suggest is that you ask whoever is organising your treatment if there is any way that you could get access to a continuous glucose monitor as the best way for them to monitor your progress.

I see you have no idea about neurodiversity so please do not judge
I am certainly not judging and did not mean to offend.
The intention of my post was to highlight that CGMs cause more anxiety to many than finger pricks. For this reason, I highly recommend the Libre trial to understand how the constant data (and potential disconnections) affect your anxiety.
I apologise for any offense caused by my clumsy explanation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back