Free Eye Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcon123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hopefully we all know that diabetics are entitled to free eye tests. However, if you are not diabetic or a glaucoma sufferer (or potential) the situation regarding free eye tests is not very clear. A friend has quite bad eyesight which has deteriorated further over the last 18 months/two years. Both their GP and myself have advised them to go for an eye test. They have not done so because of the cost. Because they receive both housing benefit and tax credit I think they may be entitled to a free eye test. Does anybody know or have a URL for some clear documentation?

One place to ask is the opticians, they would know who is entitled to free tests. You may need to produce the appropriate doccumentation. Not SUre if NHS dierect can help or offer advice.

Some places do very cheap eye tests-about ?10.

I hope your friend gets the eye tests done and gets her sight problems sorted out

I'm pushing this up to see if anyone else is able to help or give a link that might help.

Hopefully we all know that diabetics are entitled to free eye tests. However, if you are not diabetic or a glaucoma sufferer (or potential) the situation regarding free eye tests is not very clear. A friend has quite bad eyesight which has deteriorated further over the last 18 months/two years. Both their GP and myself have advised them to go for an eye test. They have not done so because of the cost. Because they receive both housing benefit and tax credit I think they may be entitled to a free eye test. Does anybody know or have a URL for some clear documentation?

Try

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/HealthAndSupport/ArrangingHealthAndSocialCare/DG_4000514

Or

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Medicinespharmacyandindustry/Prescriptions/NHScosts/DH_4049391

Use link to form HC11

Last edited:
if on benefits they should get free eye tests but beware and check with opticians re the frames and lens because mine made a mistake and gave me them free, it turned out i wasnt entitled and local health authority tried to fine me for fraud, fortunately the opticion backed me up that they had wrongly issued me with the forms and i was let off a hefty fine.

I'm currently receiving (sporadically) ESA, what used to be call Statutory Sick Pay (nothing to do with the diabetes) and when I got my new specs recently I got a very comprehensive eye test for free and because I have a prescription exemption certificate I got money off the cost of the specs themselves. I used Specsavers and I was very impressed with the standard of service.

She has just got form HC1 from the chemist and filling it in sounds like something for the weekend! I think the priority is to have a full examination so that if there is anything untoward a referral can be made. The change seems a bit too sudden (in my non-medical opinion).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back