Free dentist/Opticians

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemase

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Is it true that diabetics are entitiled to free eye tests and dental check ups?

Its not how hard we hit, its how hard we can get hiut and keep moving forward.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/895.aspx?CategoryID=68&SubCategoryID=157

thats who is entitled to free eye tests ^^^^

this is who entitled to free check ups at dentist.

You are entitled to free NHS dental treatment, including check-ups, if, at the start of the treatment, you:-
are getting Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or the guarantee credit part of Pension Credit. Your partner and children will also be entitled to free treatment. If you are getting Working Tax Credit and/or Child Tax Credit, you may be entitled to free dental treatment, depending on your income
are under 18
are 18 and in full-time education
live in Scotland (check-ups only)
in Wales, are under 25 (check-ups only)
in Wales, are 60 or over (check-ups only)
are pregnant, or have had a baby during the last twelve months, and hold a valid maternity exemption certificate. This includes if you have had a miscarriage after the 24th week of pregnancy, or your baby was stillborn. To apply for a maternity exemption certificate, ask your GP, midwife or health visitor for form FW8
are a prisoner.

In England, for a full list of people who can get help with dental treatment, see the Department of Health leaflet HC11 Help with health costs at: www.nhsba.nhs.uk.

In Scotland, for more information about help with dental charges, see A quick guide to help with health costs (HCS2).

You may have to show your dentist proof that you are entitled to free treatment. If your circumstances change before treatment ends, you will still be able to get free treatment.

If you are not in one of the categories listed above, you might still be able to get free dental treatment on the grounds of low income – see under heading, Help with health costs if you are on a low income.

Unfortunately it's not true. we are only entitled to a free yearly diabetic eye test (retinal screening).

Unfortunately it's not true. we are only entitled to a free yearly diabetic eye test (retinal screening).

Nope, you can get a free ordinary eye test too. I had one recently, and it was purely an optician test. She also booked me in for a 6 month follow up test to check for glaucoma and said this would also be free as it was 'related treatment' to my ordinary test.

Diabetes doesn't get you free dental checks though, my last one cost ?30:(

Nope, you can get a free ordinary eye test too. I had one recently, and it was purely an optician test. She also booked me in for a 6 month follow up test to check for glaucoma and said this would also be free as it was 'related treatment' to my ordinary test.

Diabetes doesn't get you free dental checks though, my last one cost ?30:(

Well yes, my eye tests are always free too because he does it at the same time as the retinal screening. Pretty sure they aren't supposed to be free though!

Free eye tests yes, a regular eye test plus the retinal screening.

No free dentist though

Well yes, my eye tests are always free too because he does it at the same time as the retinal screening. Pretty sure they aren't supposed to be free though!

My retinal scans are done at the hospital, the eye test at a private opticians. I was impressed at the opticians - the lovely short-haired lady was also a T1 diabetic!

In England diabetics are entitled one free ordinary eye test at an opticians every year. Some opticians are also equipped to do retinal screening as well. I though have my retinal scan done separately at the hospital diabetic clinic.

There is no free dental treatment for diabetics. In England the only people who receive free dental treatment are children and people on very low income/means tested state benefits.

I always have my free eye tests and my free retinal scan, both at the opticians. Just glad on current performance Specsavers don't do the scans as they are being rubbish.

In England diabetics are entitled one free ordinary eye test at an opticians every year.

hope that's not true about it being only one, as i'm going for my second in 6 months next week. however, the reason i'm having 2 close together is because of the D, so maybe that will get me out of it. (not that i would pay...my company would).

hope that's not true about it being only one, as i'm going for my second in 6 months next week. however, the reason i'm having 2 close together is because of the D, so maybe that will get me out of it. (not that i would pay...my company would).

If they are monitoring you for something then I think you are entitled to more, or if there is something they want to re check. At least you are being kept an eye on (sorry about the pun)

I think there is no limit to number of free eye tests that your optician thinks are clinically necessary. The once year is just for routine eye tests initiated by yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back