Free CareSens meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabolic

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi, I've lost or misplaced my CareSens meter, does anyone know if I can get another one, preferably free? I have the Freestyle Libre 2 sensor which is great but need the back up of a finger prick meter without going through the faff of getting a different test strip prescription.
Thanks in advance

You can try contacting the manufacturer. They will often replace or provide a second meter free of charge as they make the majority of their money from the test strips. You should always have a back up meter. I had terrible trouble with the Caresens not working in cool/cold weather and constantly wanting new batteries and they sent me a replacement without any problem.... the new one had exactly the same issue though. Didn't like working outside and even in the house in winter, I have to put it down my bra to warm up before it will give me a reading. Usually I waste a test strip first as it cuts out after I have applied the blood sample to the test strip. Makes me wonder if they deliberately make them like that so we use more test strips. I actually bought test strips for my Libre reader because it is much more robust in cold weather but it always reads lower than the Libre CGM which is almost always lower than my Caresens by 1mmol, so I am not sure I trust the Freestyle Optium test strips either.
If you need a phone number for Spirit Healthcare customer services it is on the Caresens test strip boxes I believe.

You can try contacting the manufacturer. They will often replace or provide a second meter free of charge as they make the majority of their money from the test strips. You should always have a back up meter. I had terrible trouble with the Caresens not working in cool/cold weather and constantly wanting new batteries and they sent me a replacement without any problem.... the new one had exactly the same issue though. Didn't like working outside and even in the house in winter, I have to put it down my bra to warm up before it will give me a reading. Usually I waste a test strip first as it cuts out after I have applied the blood sample to the test strip. Makes me wonder if they deliberately make them like that so we use more test strips. I actually bought test strips for my Libre reader because it is much more robust in cold weather but it always reads lower than the Libre CGM which is almost always lower than my Caresens by 1mmol, so I am not sure I trust the Freestyle Optium test strips either.
If you need a phone number for Spirit Healthcare customer services it is on the Caresens test strip boxes I believe.
Not wanting to jump in on OPs thread but i have the FreeStyle Optium strips and have been getting lower reading from my Libre 2 just wondering if its not the just the CGM thats the issues i am having.

Not wanting to jump in on OPs thread but i have the FreeStyle Optium strips and have been getting lower reading from my Libre 2 just wondering if its not the just the CGM thats the issues i am having.
Yes, after using Libre and Libre 2 for 3 years alongside my Caresens, the readings were always lower on the Libre and usually by about 1mmol, and I kind of assumed that the CGM algorithm was probably deliberately set a bit lower partly because of the lag and to provide more safety at low levels, but when I got the Freestyle Optium test strips they al;ways read lower than the CGM and about 1.5mmols lower than my Caresens which I have come to trust over the years even if it is unreliable in the cold. It makes quite a difference if you regularly run in the 4s and low 5s and the Optium test strips are showing you in the red.

Yes, after using Libre and Libre 2 for 3 years alongside my Caresens, the readings were always lower on the Libre and usually by about 1mmol, and I kind of assumed that the CGM algorithm was probably deliberately set a bit lower partly because of the lag and to provide more safety at low levels, but when I got the Freestyle Optium test strips they al;ways read lower than the CGM and about 1.5mmols lower than my Caresens which I have come to trust over the years even if it is unreliable in the cold. It makes quite a difference if you regularly run in the 4s and low 5s and the Optium test strips are showing you in the red.
thanks thats very helpful, when i last spoke to abbott they ask what test strips you use so i wonder if they realise they might have issues, I am running between 2 to 4 lower on the test strips which has put me in the red a few times.

Hope you are able to get a replacement handset @Diabolic 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back