Free cancer screening refused by 40% of high risk group in West

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never miss a chance to get tested. It's so-o-o-o-o much fun after all. 😱

Seriously though, with my family history I'd be an idiot to refuse whatever bits they want to test, no matter how embarrassing or messy it might seem.

That last paragraph has me a bit worried though:

Screening is for people without symptoms, although anyone with symptoms is told to go to their GPO directly as soon as possible.

The Post Office is doing cancer screenings now? 😱

Last edited:
Actually, in some schemes, Royal Mail does carry faecal samples from homes to test labs. Not clear from this article if the screening is by colonoscopy or some other means.

I definitely encourage people to get testing if offered. On Wednesday, I'm going to funeral of a friend who went to their GP with bowel symptoms in Nov 2012, had surgery in spring 2013, then chemo, and died of bowel cancer on Good Friday. He was only in his mid 50s, and leaves a wife and 2 sons at university.

I dunno, but we get screened every couple of years, it's all done by post.

I happened to comment about it on the other DSF on one occasion and quite a few had never heard of it and didn't even know it was available. Amongst these, was one Patty D Evans, who lives in Penzance.

So there you go - you probably just get a letter through the post to start off with and the trouble is, we quite frequently get mailshots offering screening for this that and the other, and the first time it happened I thought ooh, this is a good idea - until I realised it was going to costs hundreds of £££.

So you might just stick it in the bin.

Or you might think it was rather unhygienic having pooh samples hanging about your house for a week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back