Free Bus Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCOTTISH35

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I have been informed that since I have Type2 I can get a free travel pass as this is considered a disability is this correct

Hi

I have been informed that since I have Type2 I can get a free travel pass as this is considered a disability is this correct
I don't think that simply being T2 is enough to qualify. With our local authority a bus pass is discretionary if you have diabetes and experience disabling hypoglycaemia, which I guess means you would have to be on insulin.

Hi

The term disability, relating to T2, isn't a blanket term. It tends to apply to those using insulin, or other drugs that can have significant impacts on blood sugars leading to hypos, or where the person has complications impacting their daily lives.

It might be helpful to tell us a little bit more about your diabetes and how it impacts you.

Echo the thoughts of the others. Would add that if you live in Scotland then things are different than in England. For example my OAP bus pass is only valid for travel south of the border.

Suggest you contact your local authority and ask what the position is where you live.

In my area (plymouth) they only were to issue if you have a disability that means you would be refused a driving licence, so in that stance would depend on how your diabetes or complications from your diabetes affects your ability to drive, also they were only allowing off peak travel, we used to get a discount off peak travel but not sure if that’s still the case.

In general, no. Unless as others have said, you are prohibited from driving. If you're in Scotland as your username suggests, see here.

Not just for having diabetes, no:

If you’re disabled, you can get a free bus pass if you are aged 5 or over, live in Scotland, and you:

• get a qualifying benefit
  • have a Blue Badge
  • are deaf
  • are visually impaired
  • cannot drive due to a medical condition
  • have a mental health condition or learning disability and need to travel to appointments
  • have a terminal illness
  • have a progressive degenerative condition
  • have lost one of more limbs
  • are an injured veteran
  • get war pensioner mobility supplement

Ha ha, saw this and thought, oh, free bus pass. On insulin...no hypo awareness...but no driving license. Seems that would be a 'no' then.....

If
Ha ha, saw this and thought, oh, free bus pass. On insulin...no hypo awareness...but no driving license. Seems that would be a 'no' then.....
you are not well enough to drive then you might be eligible but need to stress with application how unsafe you would be, it would need an assessment if under English rules but worth a try!

@Inka thank you for that, it would never have occurred to me that my daughter could get a free bus pass (certainly not just for diabetes), but she has at least 3 things from that list. We don‘t live in Scotland, but thought it would be worth checking the rules round here and it’s very similar. So I think she will apply!

If you’d be refused a licence, then you might well qualify @Tdm You can get a Disabled Train Card too, I believe. They’re for people who are unable to drive due to their disability and so have to use public transport.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-disabled-bus-pass

Hang on, if i applied for a provisional, declared i was hypo unaware , i would be declines, and thus able to get free pass? Sorry to ask on someone elses thread

When I was first diagnosed and took tablets I became really unsteady on my feet and started using walking poles to stay upright on our dreadfully uneven pavements. The people doing the 'education' course checked that I had a bus pass, so it would be worth putting in a request even if you aren't an exact fit into one of the categories listed on the form or the website.

Hang on, if i applied for a provisional, declared i was hypo unaware , i would be declines, and thus able to get free pass? Sorry to ask on someone elses thread

I don’t know if you even need to apply. You’d have to check that out. The person I know has a condition that means they can’t drive. I don’t believe they’ve ever even applied for a licence.

Worth you checking out though. The Disabled Train Card gives a companion money off too.

We’ve just been checking this out for my daughter. In our area, if you can provide evidence from a doctor that you have a condition that would prevent you from driving, then that is enough, you don‘t have to have applied for the licence. We haven’t applied for a driving licence for my daughter because we know she’d be refused, it’s a waste of time. But she has supporting evidence in the form of doctors letters and PIP. I just googled “apply for a bus pass” and there’s a government website that will direct you to whichever authority covers your area when you put your postcode in.

Hmmm...interesting thanks for that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back