free blood sugar monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizmogirl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Guys,
Can anyone tell me if its possible to get a free blood sugar monitor? and if so where please.

🙂

Hi Sal I know you have tryed this but really it must be worth hassling your nurse if not her then the gp, It is where i got my meter from and so have many others, but failing that I think if you tryed a few of the companies like abbotts, bayer etc they may send you out a meter, some like to do that because they get there money back from the cost of the strips.

Also try a google search and see what they come up with. remember to say you want UK only sites. If you don't, you get sites from all over the world.

😡
Hi Guys,
Can anyone tell me if its possible to get a free blood sugar monitor? and if so where please.

🙂

Sal, the meter is not the high-cost item; it is the test strips. I very much doubt that any 'free' tester will come with free strips.
Pester your GP (and I really mean pester!). Tell them that the more you know, the more you will be in control.😡

😡

Sal, the meter is not the high-cost item; it is the test strips. I very much doubt that any 'free' tester will come with free strips.
Pester your GP (and I really mean pester!). Tell them that the more you know, the more you will be in control.😡

You might get 10 or even 25 free strips with the free meter, but certainly pester your GP for strips on prescription.

I got a free Bayer Contour meter via this route. It comes with a box of 25 strips, a pricking device, control solution, plus a shed load of lancets all in a carry case. Register your meter and they will supply free batteries and control solution for life. Obviously they make their money from the strips but they are extremely helpful. Strips are about ?25 per tub of 50 in the chemist or about half price on e-bay.

My PCT is notorious for discouraging T2's from testing and stopping GPs prescribing strips but I do get my strips on prescription, having shown my GP my testing logs, demonstrating that I understood the readings and that I was taking dietary action in response to the readings.

Apparently, the more often you say you test, the more likely you are to "win" a meter. Make of that what you will. My meter took about 3 weeks to arrive.

Thanks guys🙂

just applied for a free monitor hopefully be lucky🙂

Sal x

Thanks guys🙂

just applied for a free monitor hopefully be lucky🙂

Sal x

Good fingers crossed for you

I dont know if it is poss but maybe someone on the forum may have a spare unoped one for you , always worth a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back