Fragmented care

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolA

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have type 2 diabetes, which has slowly progressed to the point they now prescribe metformin and forxiga. Since being given the forxiga I have lost quite a bit of weight, mainly due to a loss of appetite…..not sure if the 2 are connected. My problem is, I have other health issues too, the primary one being high blood pressure, for which I take a cocktail of different meds. I am now regularly suffering blood pressure lows and am not sure what to do. It is really hard to get even a telephone appointment with a GP here….and the person treating my diabetes has no knowledge of my blood pressure, or any of the other things. I need a face to face meeting with a doctor who actually knows what is going on, but that seems like an impossible dream!

I have type 2 diabetes, which has slowly progressed to the point they now prescribe metformin and forxiga. Since being given the forxiga I have lost quite a bit of weight, mainly due to a loss of appetite…..not sure if the 2 are connected. My problem is, I have other health issues too, the primary one being high blood pressure, for which I take a cocktail of different meds. I am now regularly suffering blood pressure lows and am not sure what to do. It is really hard to get even a telephone appointment with a GP here….and the person treating my diabetes has no knowledge of my blood pressure, or any of the other things. I need a face to face meeting with a doctor who actually knows what is going on, but that seems like an impossible dream!
If the problem you’re having is with your blood pressure then you need to make an appointment with whoever prescribed your blood pressure medication, likely your GP. If the problem was with your blood sugars that is the type of thing you’d speak to your diabetes team about.

People often find that weight loss can help to reduce high blood pressure and their medication need to be reduced so yes it is essential you speak to your GP.
Some non diabetic people who have high blood pressure use dietary methods to lose weight to manage blood pressure through weight loss.

Forxiga is associated with weight loss so that probably is why you've lost weight. It does sound very much like you need a full medication review. It might be worth calling your surgery and asking who you need an appointment with for that (probably is GP, but if you go in asking who you need to speak to they may be more amenable to booking you an appropriate appointment). If they say GP but they can only give you a telephone appointment, I would suggest taking it - in my surgery the GP can then decide to give you a face to face appointment after the phone appointment and I've come across several others doing similar.

It would be worth you taking some blood pressure readings over a number of days as examples of the low blood pressure episodes you have been getting, I assume you have a home BP monitor to know you are getting low blood pressure.

Sorry to year your care feels a bit fragmented and not very joined up @CarolA :(

If you think it would help you might like to call the Diabetes UK Helpline on 0345 123 2399 (Mon-Fri 9-6)

Who was it that prescribed the blood pressure medication? Are you getting symptomatic low blood pressure that is worrying you? Or are you seeing low readings on a BP monitor you have at home?

Do you think NHS 111 could help you?

Does your surgery offer any kind of e-consult or similar phone appointments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back