Four out of five new nurses on NHS wards are foreign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Four out of five new NHS nurses are foreign, it emerged last night.
Almost 6,000 were recruited from abroad last year, many from Spain and Portugal.

The huge influx – a four-fold rise on the previous 12 months – has sparked fears that some nurses will lack the English language skills to do their jobs properly.

Peter Carter, of the Royal College of Nursing, said the figures showed an ‘astonishing over-reliance’ on foreign staff. He added: ‘The last few years have seen real panic-buying of nurses from wherever they can be found, to keep care safe.’

Katherine Murphy, of the Patients Association, said: ‘We are concerned that poor English skills may lead to mistakes and misunderstandings when patients are trying to explain their problems.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ck-English-language-skills-jobs-properly.html

Why aren't we training more here? There's clearly demand, and we are robbing other countries' health services of their staff :(

Crazy isn't it? We just don't pay our nurses enough in this country. It's even worse in the nursing care profession - every single person who cared for my old Grandad was non-UK native (they were all lovely people, but there were certainly a few problems with language and accents). Caring professions need to be valued a lot more highly!

Crazy isn't it? We just don't pay our nurses enough in this country. It's even worse in the nursing care profession - every single person who cared for my old Grandad was non-UK native (they were all lovely people, but there were certainly a few problems with language and accents). Caring professions need to be valued a lot more highly!

I totally agree! It's a very difficult job, and should be a well-rewarded vocation, with good training and support fr all caring professions. And I'm pretty sure all the negativity the Coalition has engendered to undermine the NHS has destroyed morale for many - not helped by then denying them a paltry 1% payrise that was independently recommended, whilst telling us all that the country is doing 'so well' :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back