Forgotten tresiba dose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meme35

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all I have woken this morning and realised I didn’t take my tresiba dose. I’m really worried and don’t know what to do.

If I forget basal in the evening I just take it in the mornings instead from then on, until a convenient day to switch back to evenings. Or you could wait till the evening to take next tresiba and manage with corrections during the day. Tresiba works for so long you’re unlikely to have dangerously high levels from missing it, but you might run higher than normal.

Hi @Meme35 ,
Tresiba may be considered inflexible, but it is also extremely tolerant! The guidance given in their literature and from the trials leading up to its certification is that if you forget a dose just take it when you remember - BUT - separate the next dose from the late taken dose by at least 8 hours. You can then progressively bring your Tresiba dosing back to your preferred basal taking time.

This is consistent with the notion that today's dose is topping up yesterday's dose, even if you missed yesterday! Your trying to sustain a certain level of Tresiba in your body. From reading some of the research literature about Tresiba, the way it gets released into your blood is complex and a bit different to other basals - but provides an even end result across the 40 hrs while it is doing its stuff. It is one of the reasons why people who are frequent long haul flyers across time zones find Tresiba very helpful to that lifestyle.

If I forget basal in the evening I just take it in the mornings instead from then on, until a convenient day to switch back to evenings. Or you could wait till the evening to take next tresiba and manage with corrections during the day. Tresiba works for so long you’re unlikely to have dangerously high levels from missing it, but you might run higher than normal.
Thank you so much for the reply. I’ve been so anxious all day due to missing it last night. Yes I will just take my night dose tonight.

Hi all I have woken this morning and realised I didn’t take my tresiba dose. I’m really worried and don’t know what to do.
Hi,

"If you forget a dose, inject the missed dose when discovering the mistake." From patient information leaflet attached.

For me as a tresiba user myself, I'd take it as soon as I could. Then run with that new time for a few days. For example, if I usually take it at night and had forgotten last nights dose, id take it now at 17.10 pm. Stick with that for 3 days, then on 4th day, hold back and wait till my usual night time for that dose. Then all is good and I'm back to my usual night time routine. The key thing with tresiba is that whatever happens, never take doses less than 8 hrs apart. Best to take it around 24hrs apart.

Attachments

Hi,

"If you forget a dose, inject the missed dose when discovering the mistake." From patient information leaflet attached.

For me as a tresiba user myself, I'd take it as soon as I could. Then run with that new time for a few days. For example, if I usually take it at night and had forgotten last nights dose, id take it now at 17.10 pm. Stick with that for 3 days, then on 4th day, hold back and wait till my usual night time for that dose. Then all is good and I'm back to my usual night time routine. The key thing with tresiba is that whatever happens, never take doses less than 8 hrs apart. Best to take it around 24hrs apart.
Thank you

Hi @Meme35 ,
Tresiba may be considered inflexible, but it is also extremely tolerant! The guidance given in their literature and from the trials leading up to its certification is that if you forget a dose just take it when you remember - BUT - separate the next dose from the late taken dose by at least 8 hours. You can then progressively bring your Tresiba dosing back to your preferred basal taking time.

This is consistent with the notion that today's dose is topping up yesterday's dose, even if you missed yesterday! Your trying to sustain a certain level of Tresiba in your body. From reading some of the research literature about Tresiba, the way it gets released into your blood is complex and a bit different to other basals - but provides an even end result across the 40 hrs while it is doing its stuff. It is one of the reasons why people who are frequent long haul flyers across time zones find Tresiba very helpful to that lifestyle.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back