Forgot to take my long acting insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeSugar :|

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So last night I ended up falling asleep and I woke up at 6am in the morning realizing I havent rake any of my long acting insulin I usually take 22 units at half 10 at night so what I did when I woke up is just took 11 units, I was wondering how much should I take later or if I should e taken more as my sugar levels have been a bit high all morning or should I just take a bit more insulin with meals

So last night I ended up falling asleep and I woke up at 6am in the morning realizing I havent rake any of my long acting insulin I usually take 22 units at half 10 at night so what I did when I woke up is just took 11 units, I was wondering how much should I take later or if I should e taken more as my sugar levels have been a bit high all morning or should I just take a bit more insulin with meals
I would just take a bit more quick acting with my meals, if I’d missed my basal. The problem with putting more basal in now, is that it will still be acting when you take your bedtime dose tonight, and you could hypo in the night. In fact, having taken a half dose earlier, you need to watch tonight anyway, I’d have a snack before bed and go to bed a bit higher than normal, because you’ve still got the tail end of that 11 dose in your system.(This is assuming you only normally take your basal once a day)
We've all done it, btw!

I would just take a bit more quick acting with my meals, if I’d missed my basal. The problem with putting more basal in now, is that it will still be acting when you take your bedtime dose tonight, and you could hypo in the night. In fact, having taken a half dose earlier, you need to watch tonight anyway, I’d have a snack before bed and go to bed a bit higher than normal, because you’ve still got the tail end of that 11 dose in your system.(This is assuming you only normally take your basal once a day)
We've all done it, btw!
Alright then I'll do that thanks yeah I only tale it once before I go to bed never normally take it in the morning, so should I not take any more long acting insulin later do you think?

Alright then I'll do that thanks yeah I only tale it once before I go to bed never normally take it in the morning, so should I not take any more long acting insulin later do you think?
Not before your usual dose tonight, no. Just take a correction dose of short acting, if you know your correction factor, (ie, how much you’d usually add on to a mealtime dose if you found you were a bit high before the meal). Just firefighting for a day won’t do any harm in the long run.

I would do the same as @Robin has suggested (and did when I missed my Lantus on MDI).

Having taken your partial dose this morning, you will have some basal coverage, but just keep a close eye on things for the rest of the day. The risk of taking any more long acting before your next evening dose is that those staggered Lantus doses might all start to unpredictsbly overlap as Lantus has such a long activity profile.

Better to adjust with shorter acting rapid insulin if you see any basal shortfall as the day progresses IMO.

Just to clarify, I think we are all in agreement that you should use your quick acting insulin at meal tmes to do corrections as necessary but still take your long acting insulin tonight but have a bedtime snack to push your BG levels up a bit higher than normal if they are not already high. It might also be a good idea to set an alarm for through the night (say 2am) just to check you aren't dropping too low with the overlap of long acting insulin from that morning half dose and the evening dose.

Just to clarify, I think we are all in agreement that you should use your quick acting insulin at meal tmes to do corrections as necessary but still take your long acting insulin tonight but have a bedtime snack to push your BG levels up a bit higher than normal if they are not already high. It might also be a good idea to set an alarm for through the night (say 2am) just to check you aren't dropping too low with the overlap of long acting insulin from that morning half dose and the evening dose.
The thing is I normally only do one dose before I go to bed I dont normally do one in the morning so if a do a full one tonight wouldnt that overlap the dose I did this morning?

The thing is I normally only do one dose before I go to bed I dont normally do one in the morning so if a do a full one tonight wouldnt that overlap the dose I did this morning?
Yes, which is why we are suggesting that you have extra carbs at bedtime (without meal time insulin) and set an alarm to check your levels through the night.
You could also knock a few (2-4) units off your evening dose if you are particularly worried but if you don't take your long acting insulin tonight then you will end up completely out of routine and taking it on a morning instead. That can work for some people, but others find that the peak of activity of the long acting taken at bedtime helps to counteract Dawn Phenomenon the next morning.

Yes it will, although by bedtime it will be tailing off, hence our saying eat a snack before bed, and maybe check in the middle of the night (I assume you always keep something glucos-y by your bed in case of overnight hypos) and check you haven’t gone low. If you really want to be on the safe side, reduce your evening dose tonight by a couple of units, then do the same process of checking through the day and correcting with short acting again, until you’re back to routine.
Edit. @rebrascora types faster than I do! We are both saying the same thing!

Yes, which is why we are suggesting that you have extra carbs at bedtime (without meal time insulin) and set an alarm to check your levels through the night.
You could also knock a few (2-4) units off your evening dose if you are particularly worried but if you don't take your long acting insulin tonight then you will end up completely out of routine and taking it on a morning instead. That can work for some people, but others find that the peak of activity of the long acting taken at bedtime helps to counteract Dawn Phenomenon the next morning.
Oh right okay I thought the others were saying no to take my night time insulin but I must've been mistaken I'll do what you said and just take it and set an alarm to see how it is early in the morning thanks

Yes it will, although by bedtime it will be tailing off, hence our saying eat a snack before bed, and maybe check in the middle of the night (I assume you always keep something glucos-y by your bed in case of overnight hypos) and check you haven’t gone low. If you really want to be on the safe side, reduce your evening dose tonight by a couple of units, then do the same process of checking through the day and correcting with short acting again, until you’re back to routine.
Yeah I always keep some sweets next to my bed in case of a hypo but yeah I'll just take my long acting insulin as normal and set an alarm see how that goes thanks for the help

You might find you are fine @ILikeSugar :|

Often smaller basal doses act over a shorter time, so you might find that by night time your breakfast-time dose is substantially fading away?

Hope you get on OK overnight. Let us know how it goes 🙂

And we are talking about my long acting insulin arent we as I know earlier
You might find you are fine @ILikeSugar :|

Often smaller basal doses act over a shorter time, so you might find that by night time your breakfast-time dose is substantially fading away?

Hope you get on OK overnight. Let us know how it goes 🙂
Yeah hopefully and thank you I will do 🙂

Probably too late now but yes we are talking about your long acting (basal) insulin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back