Forgot lantus this morning

chezpez

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've forgotten to put lantus in at 8 am this morning. Only just realised now coz I couldn't understand why I was mega high. I put in normally 14 units. What shall I put in now it 3pm.
Thanks

No one can give you medical advice. If you need that you’ll have to phone 111.

Personally I’d either leave it till the next dose and manage with bolus in between. Or I’d take it when I remembered then slowly change the time back to my normal basal time.

Personally I’d either leave it till the next dose and manage with bolus in between. Or I’d take it when I remembered then slowly change the time back to my normal basal time.
I thought it would be just a percentage of my full dose.. just seeing if anyone knew?

I thought it would be just a percentage of my full dose.. just seeing if anyone knew?

Well, you could take a smaller dose but then that might cause an overlap. I’d just correct with my bolus insulin, or use it as an opportunity to change the regular time of the Lantus, ie if you’d prefer to have it in the evening.

Well, you could take a smaller dose but then that might cause an overlap. I’d just correct with my bolus insulin, or use it as an opportunity to change the regular time of the Lantus, ie if you’d prefer to have it in the evening.
Thanks , I've worked it out to put in 60% of my usual lantus dose now.
Then tomorrow will put in usual dose a couple of hours later, so not much overlap.
Then day after back to usual dose and time.
Will just keep putting correction doses in the meantime, thank goodness for a cgm

No it wouldn’t be a percentage of usual dose because basal doesn’t work like that, it will overlap with the next dose if you do that.

Whatever you choose to do @chezpez keep a close watch on you Bg, especially overnight.
We have all done this at times. I took a while to work out that I had put the wrong insulin in my pens, swapped over. Easy to do when we are not concentrating.

Whatever you choose to do @chezpez keep a close watch on you Bg, especially overnight.
We have all done this at times. I took a while to work out that I had put the wrong insulin in my pens, swapped over. Easy to do when we are not concentrating.
My partner and I worked out the percentage of lantus . It was 7 hours over the time when I should of injected ( I wondered why I was feeling slightly off, and my blood sugar didn't go down after a gym session). My lantus normally lasts 22 hours . My partner worked it out , coz I'm rubbish with maths to put in 9 units instead of my full dose of 14 . Anyway I did with a little extra for corrections as was well in teens. It's worked a treat, overnight very stable no need for corrections, just kept checking it. Will do corrections now as always insulin resistance in morning. Gonna do full dose again about lunch , then will slowly return to normal time about 8 am in a couple of days so I don't overlap.
( Diabetes is so complicated, in every aspect )

My partner and I worked out the percentage of lantus . It was 7 hours over the time when I should of injected ( I wondered why I was feeling slightly off, and my blood sugar didn't go down after a gym session). My lantus normally lasts 22 hours . My partner worked it out , coz I'm rubbish with maths to put in 9 units instead of my full dose of 14 . Anyway I did with a little extra for corrections as was well in teens. It's worked a treat, overnight very stable no need for corrections, just kept checking it. Will do corrections now as always insulin resistance in morning. Gonna do full dose again about lunch , then will slowly return to normal time about 8 am in a couple of days so I don't overlap.
( Diabetes is so complicated, in every aspect )
Glad that you worked out a solution. Diabetes is indeed complicated, but great for keeping our minds active and improving our Maths!!!

You mention adding an extra bit of Lantus as a correction, or was that with your fast acting. The Lantus will release slowly (I think the slow release insulins/basal have a coating on the insulin which releases the insulin bit by bit over time- happy to be corrected) Best to use your quick acting for corrections.

Glad it worked out OK @chezpez

So easy to forget a dose every once in while. Don’t give yourself a hard time over it 🙂

I am glad that it worked but as others have said, the insulin lasts a set length of time regardless how much you inject. So you would have had 60% of your usual dose active in your body for 24 hours. If you injected today’s dose at the usual time, you now have an overlap of the 60% until 3pm and your usual dose.
So, please, keep a close eye on your levels for today.

Glad that you worked out a solution. Diabetes is indeed complicated, but great for keeping our minds active and improving our Maths!!!

You mention adding an extra bit of Lantus as a correction, or was that with your fast acting. The Lantus will release slowly (I think the slow release insulins/basal have a coating on the insulin which releases the insulin bit by bit over time- happy to be corrected) Best to use your quick acting for corrections.
Yes sorry I meant correct with fiasp short acting not lantus .

Glad it worked out OK @chezpez

So easy to forget a dose every once in while. Don’t give yourself a hard time over it 🙂
I've had type 1 diabetes for 18 years now, and I still get anxious about it if I'm not in control. I was diagnosed at 32 years old, and I think in a weird way still not come to terms with it.
Its one of those things, when im in control of it, I feel great , and when it goes haywire ( which diabetes does a lot) Im feel fed up.
I'm sure we all feel like that.

I've had type 1 diabetes for 18 years now, and I still get anxious about it if I'm not in control. I was diagnosed at 32 years old, and I think in a weird way still not come to terms with it.
Its one of those things, when im in control of it, I feel great , and when it goes haywire ( which diabetes does a lot) Im feel fed up.
This anxiety is not at all uncommon.
Diabetes has a way of interrupting life when it is most inconvenient at times.

That’s exactly how I feel @chezpez When everything is going ok, it’s fine, but when things go wrong, it’s stressful and worrying and reminds you what a pain the whole thing is.

Back