Forgot Insulin When Going Long Haul - Oops

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilSmith

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Had Type 1 for a little while now (approaching 45 + years) and not once have I ever forgotten to bring my Tupperware box with my insulin bearing mind I have worked overseas for many years on rotation - until a couple of weeks ago that is. I’m currently on the Medtronic 780G using Humalog. Heading across to Thailand & Japan for a much awaited family vacation with my wife & son and I ‘somehow’ left it in the fridge on the morning of the flight, yes and at the point of the aircraft doors closing I then realised, before the cold body drain took over along with shock horror & anger (no doubt this caused a rotten sugar level spike at that precise point ) - So whilst en route with a cold sweat I decided to check options after paying for the WiFi up in the clouds. Once we landed, firstly in Abu Dhabi (no luck in the airport pharmacy) then in Thailand still with no idea (except I was going to fly home that night already exhausted) we came out of the airport to get a taxi to a private hospital (it was a Sat & a 4 day holiday too to make things worse) - They ‘only’ had Actrapid which I had used many years ago with insulatard - it was explained (but don’t quote me on this) that insulin in Thailand is only via a prescription and unavailable over the counter without this. After much googling on the prev 2 flights I decided that actrapid it was to be as this was the only option, it took a ‘lot’ more monitoring & insulin dosage as my BG seemed to be through the roof initially as expected and more hydration to get things under control once I started using it in the pump for a few days with a bit of jiggery to load up the pump reservoir from the 3 ml vials instead of the 10 ml vials, but it did work. Luckily some friends were flying out 4 days after who kindly picked up the Tupperware without too much trouble. We did manage to find a pharmacy within Thailand that could get Humalog NR etc but this took time to find and it wasn’t guaranteed with it being a holiday - Point of Interest here - do be careful and maybe don’t leave in the fridge the night before or leave a note for yourself as anything is possible and I’d never have believed that I could have forgotten something as important as my insulin, but it’s happened - I did contact my hospital DN who replied after 4 days saying don’t use Actrapid and instead get Novorapid & Lantus - not great advise based on the circumstances which I’d explained with no other option as we where heading onwards on another flight later that day, it cost approx £60 for a box of 5 x 3ml vials which I was ok with. Other than that the holiday was great. ✈️

Last edited:
Wow! What a story! So pleased you managed to sort it all in the end and enjoyed your holiday but I can imagine that moment of heart sinking horror as you realized your mistake! I guess it was a rather costly one in total, but just shows after 45 years, that we can all still make silly mistakes no matter how experienced we are.

We have a thread about mistakes we have made with our diabetes and that one nearly beats helli's story about putting croissants in the oven in a holiday cottage one morning earlier this summer, then heading out into the garden with coffee whilst they warmed, having bolused through her pump for them, only for the cottage door to shut and lock her and her partner out in the garden in nightwear in a rural location, with the potential for the insulin to hypo her with no hypo treatment available and the oven to possibly cause a fire! Thankfully she is a skilled climber and managed to climb to a first floor open window in her PJs, climb through and resolve the situation, after other options like trying to contact a keyholder or walk to the nearest neighbour with bare feet failed! At least I think that was the gist of her story!

Last edited:
Easily done @NeilSmith I live in fear of doing something similar and check my stuff literally a dozen times in an almost neurotic way!

Nurses are scared of regular insulins in pumps but they work fine as long as you make the appropriate adjustments and know what you’re doing. After all, the earlier pumps all used regular insulin. The analogues tend to be stronger so that might be why you saw initial highs.

Glad you got it sorted and enjoyed your holiday in the end 🙂

Yes, @rebrascora that is the general gist of my "rock climbing to save myself from a hypo" story 🙂
Thankfully, it was just in rural Wales.
I think the story from @NeilSmith beats that hands down. Japan and Thailand would trump Wales any day (I am jealous) and no insulin is worse than temporarily too much. I am glad he survived to tell the tale and teach the rest of us the valuable lesson to check, check again and check at least one more time to make sure we never leave anything behind in our hotel room when we check out. To think most people are worried about leaving a passport behind - they just don't know how serious things can get.

I put a note on the key hook with anything I might forget like insulin! Might help next time though I doubt you’ll ever forget again!

I also have a checklist. I check at least three times before I shut the front door. Keys mainly at the front door. But if I forgot my anti-psychotics it would not be good.

What a nightmare @NeilSmith - so pleased you managed to navigate your way through the fiery hoops that came your way o_O

Actrapid is a human insulin rather than an analogue, and I also used it back in the day. It’s a lot slower than NR as I recall - and NR is pretty slow in itself! I think I had to dose Actrapid 30 minutes ahead of time and NR was supposed to be just jab-and-go (though that’s not how I jse NR now!).

I was on Humalog before starting on a pump, and I was switched back to NR (my hospital‘s preference). In your shoes if NR was available I think that may have been a simpler swap for your MM780G.

I think we all have our own travel disaster tales. I ran ran out of Novorapid for the last 3 days of a holiday in the Alps once, and another time I managed to leave my basal insulin in a friend’s fridge 2.5 hours‘ drive from home after a weekend away!

All adds to life’s rich tapestry, and I’d guess you won’t forget your tupperware box on any trip soon!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back