Forgetting to inject Byetta!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucy123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Does anyone know what happens if you inject too late.
Forgot to inject Byetta before my dinner and was half way through when I remembered - injected then, then finished dinner. Is this wrong? Should I have left it when I realised.

What happens if you inject whilst eating - does it just not work - or does it make you feel yukky!

Still learning 🙂

There should be something on the Patient Information Leaflet about what to do if you miss a dose Lucy, although it may not cover what to do if you're just a bit late - hope some of our Babes and Beaus can help! 🙂

There should be something on the Patient Information Leaflet about what to do if you miss a dose Lucy, although it may not cover what to do if you're just a bit late - hope some of our Babes and Beaus can help! 🙂

Hi - yes you are right - if you forget and completely miss injecting - you wait until the next dose - but as I was only half way through I injected.

Guidelines just say once injected, eat within the hour.

I am not sure how long after injecting you are supposed to wait, but know you have to eat before the hour is up.

Not that I really know but I would think that injecting when you did was better than not injecting at all.

Hi Lucy,

Late response, but only remember to look on forum at work.

I had to deal with this fairly early on after starting as my lifestyle often meant I forgot - oops!

The info I was told was that ideally 30mins before eating, and avoid injecting after eating, but if only part way through then do inject as it will still do some of its work, just not as much as if 30mins before.

They did stress the dont take it after the meal rule though.

good luck,

Malc

Hi Lucy,

Late response, but only remember to look on forum at work.

I had to deal with this fairly early on after starting as my lifestyle often meant I forgot - oops!

The info I was told was that ideally 30mins before eating, and avoid injecting after eating, but if only part way through then do inject as it will still do some of its work, just not as much as if 30mins before.

They did stress the dont take it after the meal rule though.

good luck,

Malc

Thanks Malc - I knew I could rely on you!
So I did right then - thats great.
I think its because I am on holiday this week - out of my normal routine.
The 30 mins bit is interesting though. I have been injecting just before I eat as was only told must eat within the hour, but will try leaving it half an hour tonight.

I seem to be doing okay tolerating the 5mcg - a bit sicky but seems to be going generally now, the odd day here and there - so should be okay for the 10mcg next. How long did you wait to increase the dose?

Thanks Kate too for your post.

I think they put me up after a month as I had no issues after the first fortnight, but I know some can wait two or three months.

As for the 30 mins, i was told (and have experienced) that over an hour wait can make you feel really rough, and from tests the have done, there is no difference in efficiency if you wait 30, 40, 50 or 60 minutes, but under 30 doesnt leave it enough time to do all of its magic fully.

I think they put me up after a month as I had no issues after the first fortnight, but I know some can wait two or three months.

As for the 30 mins, i was told (and have experienced) that over an hour wait can make you feel really rough, and from tests the have done, there is no difference in efficiency if you wait 30, 40, 50 or 60 minutes, but under 30 doesnt leave it enough time to do all of its magic fully.

Thanks again Malc - that really clarfies it now, so best to inject, wait 30 mins, then eat, and make sure no matter what you eat within the hour.

I think my next prescription will be for 10 mcg - I guess that might mean another bout of sickness. Byetta is good stuff though so not minding the sickness so much as I can see results in my bs already.

Hi Lucy, I've had Byetta for 2 years now and have missed a few but not many doses due to inconvenience or just plain forgetting. On the one time when I injected after starting a meal my BG dropped dramatically about an hour later and I had a hypo followed by intense vomitting after eating to correct the hypo. I then went to bed feeling vile. That taught me to be more careful. This has also happened when I've had an afternoon snack too close to evening meal time and BGs have gone a bit higher than I'm used to. So I always test before my evening injection and if BG is more than about 7 - usually it's around 5, I hop on the exercise bike to get it dowen a bit. After using Byetta for a month or so I was told to leave it a good 45 minutes before eating to get the best effect. The nurse that ran my training course said missing an odd dose was not advisable but wouldn't matter too much.

Hi Lucy, I've had Byetta for 2 years now and have missed a few but not many doses due to inconvenience or just plain forgetting. On the one time when I injected after starting a meal my BG dropped dramatically about an hour later and I had a hypo followed by intense vomitting after eating to correct the hypo. I then went to bed feeling vile. That taught me to be more careful. This has also happened when I've had an afternoon snack too close to evening meal time and BGs have gone a bit higher than I'm used to. So I always test before my evening injection and if BG is more than about 7 - usually it's around 5, I hop on the exercise bike to get it dowen a bit. After using Byetta for a month or so I was told to leave it a good 45 minutes before eating to get the best effect. The nurse that ran my training course said missing an odd dose was not advisable but wouldn't matter too much.

Thanks Lizzie, I have been waiting half an hour but am being violently sick at the moment, so may need to change something.🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back