Foot update

Stitch147

Relationship to Diabetes
MODY
As some of you know I've been having issues with my foot for several years, not diabetes related. I was diagnosed as having a floating toe in 2019, my last appointment at the podiatry clinic was December 2019. I should have been seen in April 2020, then covid happened.
I had a phone appointment today. I told them that I'm still having issues despite wearing the toe alignment splint I was given.
Next step will be to try cortisone injections, but they aren't running any face to face clinics at all yet and they dont want to do them as it can affect immune system functions (apparently).
So it's back to waiting and just putting up with it for now. They'll be in touch when the clinics are back up and running.

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hope the clinics are back soon @Stitch147. I believe cortisone injections aren't pleasant but are very effective. Fingers crossed for you.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Only time I've ever had one was for a frozen shoulder - waste of cortisone for me, it hardly ever works anyway for that and I was told that before having it.

Never heard of a floating toe - is it supposed to work for that then?

Stitch147

Relationship to Diabetes
MODY
Only time I've ever had one was for a frozen shoulder - waste of cortisone for me, it hardly ever works anyway for that and I was told that before having it.

Never heard of a floating toe - is it supposed to work for that then?
It can actually damage the tendons which can make it worse! The alternative is surgery where they put pins in to straighten the toe.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Urggh Stitch don't think I fancy a jab or surgery myself - when they pin, they also wire to keep what's been pinned properly aligned (stands to reason that really, else why pin?) but of course they need room to do it - so where do they cut in order to make enough room on a toe joint? And then - major question - what's the recovery like from it?