Foot pain

KT85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hey

I'm newly T2 since about May time this year.

I'm a keen runner and I'm a carer so I'm on my feet a lot.

A few weeks ago I got a pain in my foot. It was painful at first then it died down a bit, I could feel the pain but it was manageable. I did my weekly parkrun on Saturday and I managed a 1km before I had to stop as the pain was unbearable. I slowly walked the course. I can't really put any weight on it.

I've called the doctors this morning and I can't get an appointment, I explained I'm diabetic but she couldn't help. Then as an after thought she suggested I try the minor injury unit. I'm at work all morning using a walking stick, painkillers and limping, Until I can get there

Any suggestions on what I could do or even what it could be. Before I go to the minor injury unit this afternoon.

I feel so let down and I'm in so much pain, I just want to cry.

Kate x

Sorry to hear about the pain in your foot @KT85

Can you describe the nature and location of the pain?

Do you think it might be a running injury? Or perhaps something like plantar fasciitis from being on your feet a lot?

How is your footwear? How old are your running shoes? And how about your work shoes?

Hope you can manage to get an appointment, and get some relief from the pain.

I've had a look online and I think it could Planter fascitis but I don't like to self diagnose.

I don't think it is a running injury as started a couple of days after a run, but it got worse during a run on Saturday.

It's a dull (sometimes sharp) pain from my foot arch to the heel, on my right foot. Very occasionally I get a stabbing pain from my little toe to my heel. The top of my foot is also aching.

For work I wear Skechers with a cushioned memory foam insoles, my running shoes are brooks I had a gait analysis when I got them that was only a few months ago.

Can't see a doctor so I'll be waiting at the minor injury unit this afternoon

Kate x

I also used to wear Sketchers for work but when I saw a Physio following my knee injury she said they were not supportive enough.
However if it is plantar fasciitis then the correct orthotic insoles in your shoes would help. My other half was suffering and it cured him.
If you have a Scholl or Shiorpody shop nearby they may be able to do an assessment if you have no luck at the hospital.

I also used to wear Sketchers for work but when I saw a Physio following my knee injury she said they were not supportive enough.
However if it is plantar fasciitis then the correct orthotic insoles in your shoes would help. My other half was suffering and it cured him.
If you have a Scholl or Shiorpody shop nearby they may be able to do an assessment if you have no luck at the hospital.
Thank you.

Unfortunately I don't have either shop near me. I'm hoping the hospital will help.

My sister had carbon fibre orthotic insoles made for her PF, but interestingly, she found that wearing high heels which the insoles would not fit into was much less painful than wearing flats without the insoles, but the insoles really helped a lot when wearing flats.

The Shuropody shops in both Coventry city centre and another in striking distance (either somewhere like eg Loughborough or Leamington, can't recall exactly where) have both recently closed, which is no help whatever to anyone with 'funny' feet.

However @KT85 - near us the (medically trained) podiatrists can offer treatment and apparently, which I didn't know prior to them informing a roomful of us, in A Lot of PF cases, a prior leg injury often years previously - is what sets the nerves off in the first place. Just then stays dormant for decades until it surfaces again this time as PF. Chap we know played semi prof football in his 20s and certainly did have a leg injury which caused him to have to pack it in. But walk and/or cycle for miles and gym a couple of times a week, so not what you'd think 'unfit'. Now in his early 80s, boom, plantar fasc.

I started to have trouble with my feet and lower legs after the AZ Covid jab - the pain was dreadful, worse than childbirth.
What helped a bit was layers of fairly sturdy foam. I cut out innersole shapes and stacked them in flat sandals with Velcro straps which could be lengthened to cope with the extra size of my foot and the innersoles.
As the foam slid around I put a few big stitches around the edges through all the layers and attached them to the straps with loops.
The pain was still bad, but I could at least move around and I think that helped to keep the blood flowing.
Gradually the pain eased and some antibiotics seemed to start things getting better on the redness and swelling side, but it did take some days to subside.
My surgery was a bit quicker to respond though - I hope you can soon get their attention.

Back