Foot massager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana7

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Husband has had insulin dependent type 2 diabetes for about 12-13 years, his dad had it also. His circulation isn't too good in his feet and I have been thinking about buying one of those foot massager machines but there are SO many and they all seem to do different things.
We don't have much money so don't want to buy one and find its not much good.
Can anyone who uses one please recommend one? Thank you.

I believe they generally have a caveat on the instructions for use which says they are not suitable for diabetics. I can remember at least one post on the forum where someone bought one and then read that in the instructions after they opened it and obviously wasted their money. This is probably a legal get out clause, particularly for ones which heat the water, in case of scalding. The problem with reduced sensitivity in your feet is that you can sustain injury without realising it and then go on to get an infection which won't heal. Really the best thing for stimulating the blood flow in feet is moving them.... I don't know if your husband is able to walk but if he is, that is the best exercise..... good for you too if you are able to join him. If he is not able to walk then cycling on an exercise bike or even just one of those pedaling devices that you can use whilst you sit and watch TV. Any sort of regular exercise like that stimulates the blood flow and is good for diabetes management but it is important to start slow and steady for short periods and build it up gradually. He may find that he needs to reduce his insulin doses if he finds his levels dropping. This is a good thing not a bad thing but it is important to be aware that levels can drop during and after exercise and to monitor BG levels carefully and reduce insulin if necessary. If he is not confident of adjusting his insulin then he should speak to his nurse, but exercise is important, even seated exercise if that is all he can manage. Even just sitting and wriggling his toes for a few minutes twice a day or tapping his feet to music.... working those leg and feet muscles and joints..... and it is a lot cheaper than a foot spa.

I believe they generally have a caveat on the instructions for use which says they are not suitable for diabetics. I can remember at least one post on the forum where someone bought one and then read that in the instructions after they opened it and obviously wasted their money. This is probably a legal get out clause, particularly for ones which heat the water, in case of scalding. The problem with reduced sensitivity in your feet is that you can sustain injury without realising it and then go on to get an infection which won't heal. Really the best thing for stimulating the blood flow in feet is moving them.... I don't know if your husband is able to walk but if he is, that is the best exercise..... good for you too if you are able to join him. If he is not able to walk then cycling on an exercise bike or even just one of those pedaling devices that you can use whilst you sit and watch TV. Any sort of regular exercise like that stimulates the blood flow and is good for diabetes management but it is important to start slow and steady for short periods and build it up gradually. He may find that he needs to reduce his insulin doses if he finds his levels dropping. This is a good thing not a bad thing but it is important to be aware that levels can drop during and after exercise and to monitor BG levels carefully and reduce insulin if necessary. If he is not confident of adjusting his insulin then he should speak to his nurse, but exercise is important, even seated exercise if that is all he can manage. Even just sitting and wriggling his toes for a few minutes twice a day or tapping his feet to music.... working those leg and feet muscles and joints..... and it is a lot cheaper than a foot spa.
Thank you, I didn't mean the spa ones with water as I know that soaking feet in water just dries the skin out. More the massage only ones.
Yes we walk quite regularly and he uses the rowing machine and sometimes cycles. We have also both just started an exercise class for the over 60's each week as well.

I remember on a long-haul flight being given a squishy cushion to put under my feet for pummelling to keep the circulation going.

Husband has had insulin dependent type 2 diabetes for about 12-13 years, his dad had it also. His circulation isn't too good in his feet and I have been thinking about buying one of those foot massager machines but there are SO many and they all seem to do different things.
We don't have much money so don't want to buy one and find its not much good.
Can anyone who uses one please recommend one? Thank you.

Has he discussed the reduced circulation with his Dr? Would be worth setting up a phone call or e-consult (whatever your surgery offers) to ask their advice.

They will know if any of the devices available on the high st are likely to help, or will simply be a waste of money (or worse still might actually make things worse).

Some of these machines make big claims, but they aren’t always backed up by independent research or clinical trials. It pays to be cautious - especially if money is tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back