Foot and Hand Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyWales

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have suffered terribly with pins and needles in both my hands and numbness and excruciating pain in both my feet, with the pain being in the toes specifically, this has been ongoing for about 2 years now, my GP sent me to see a neurologist about a year ago who complimented me on my choice of footwear, then briefly examined my feet and within 5 minutes he told me I needed to lose weight.
Recently the numbness and pain in my feet has become worse and I can hardly feel anything on the soles of my feet making walking really difficult and painful, has anyone else had these problems and had an explanation as to the cause.
Thank You

I’m new to this diabetic thing know it’s not quite the same but my mom who was type 1 used to get really bad cramps in her hands and feet go back to your doctor to refer u to another hospital just to put you at ease

I have suffered terribly with pins and needles in both my hands and numbness and excruciating pain in both my feet, with the pain being in the toes specifically, this has been ongoing for about 2 years now, my GP sent me to see a neurologist about a year ago who complimented me on my choice of footwear, then briefly examined my feet and within 5 minutes he told me I needed to lose weight.
Recently the numbness and pain in my feet has become worse and I can hardly feel anything on the soles of my feet making walking really difficult and painful, has anyone else had these problems and had an explanation as to the cause.
Thank You
You need to go back to your GP as it could be neuropathy, which can be caused by poor diabetes control amongst many other things.
How well is your diabetes managed?

Hi and welcome @MikeyWales

Sorry to hear you're having problems, I know how painful it is. Diabetic neuropathy does cause symptoms like you are describing - it may be caused by something else of course - but peripheral neuropathy is a common complication of diabetes. It can affect the legs and feet & toes with tingling, pain, numbness and can also affect the hands and fingers in a number of similar ways.

This information is from the Diabetes UK site

The best way to try and limit damage/control symptoms is to try and get your blood sugar as stable and in range as possible plus all the other things we need to juggle such as blood pressure. There are drugs that can help to limit the effects of nerve damage if that is what you've got.

Did the neurologist give you any help other than to lose weight?

You need to go back to your GP as it could be neuropathy, which can be caused by poor diabetes control amongst many other things.
How well is your diabetes managed?

My diabetes is now under control, a blood test a few weeks ago showed my Hba1c level was that of a non diabetic, I worry about the damage done during the 9 to 12 months I felt unwell before diagnosis.
I have lost all faith in my GP to be honest, all I ever get is a telephone appointment if I'm lucky.

Sorry to hear you're having problems, I know how painful it is. Diabetic neuropathy does cause symptoms like you are describing - it may be caused by something else of course - but peripheral neuropathy is a common complication of diabetes. It can affect the legs and feet & toes with tingling, pain, numbness and can also affect the hands and fingers in a number of similar ways.

The best way to try and limit damage/control symptoms is to try and get your blood sugar as stable and in range as possible plus all the other things we need to juggle such as blood pressure. There are drugs that can help to limit the effects of nerve damage if that is what you've got.

My blood sugar is now stable and in range, I have high blood pressure too.
That was all the neurologist said was to lose weight.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back