food

Status
Not open for further replies.

lo123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
what do people eat mostly for breakfast and dinner? whatever i usually eat my blood sugar goes high? porridge, bread, pasta, potatoes. what does everyone else eat on a daily basis? i need pointers please :)

Hi, I usually have bran flakes in morning but i have read that porridge is the better???for lunch i usually have cupa soup with brown bread and dinner varies from potatoes(small amount) veg and meat or pasta or stir-frys, baked potatoe etc. but i am looking into the low GI diet as it seems to be a good one, there is lots of recipe's on line right enough too, depends how much time you have to prepare and plan etc i know it does for me!! trial and error! you will get plenty of good advice from people on here,especially those with plenty experience!

i've taken to eating a 1/4 pot of greek yoghurt with half a dozen or so brazil nuts. total carbs are just over 10 so it's virtually impossible to get very high sugar levels. if i'm shopping in the morning i needn't even inject.

the energy works out at about 360kcal which is less than my old high carb breakfast of mini shredded wheats at 430kcal

the yoghurt and nuts seem to keep the hunger at bay pretty well.

if you can get a good balance of fats in your day you're setting yourself up to be very healthy.

should add too that it's ridiculously easy to prepare, particularly if you, please excuse the phrase, crush all your nuts at the same time. a few spoons of yoghurt, a few teaspoons of crushed nuts and it takes seconds to eat. :)

Last edited:
i've taken to eating a 1/4 pot of greek yoghurt with half a dozen or so brazil nuts. total carbs are just over 10 so it's virtually impossible to get very high sugar levels. if i'm shopping in the morning i needn't even inject.

the energy works out at about 360kcal which is less than my old high carb breakfast of mini shredded wheats at 430kcal

the yoghurt and nuts seem to keep the hunger at bay pretty well.

if you can get a good balance of fats in your day you're setting yourself up to be very healthy.

should add too that it's ridiculously easy to prepare, particularly if you, please excuse the phrase, crush all your nuts at the same time. a few spoons of yoghurt, a few teaspoons of crushed nuts and it takes seconds to eat. :)
now that sounds lovely:) i called the DSN today to arrange an appoint so i can learn how to do this 'carb' counting it sounds like the way to go, i really need to have a better understanding of the balance needed. i iam totally guessing how many units to take each meal time and of course i dont get it right too often!!

what do people eat mostly for breakfast and dinner? whatever i usually eat my blood sugar goes high? porridge, bread, pasta, potatoes. what does everyone else eat on a daily basis? i need pointers please :)

It really varies from day to day, as I carb count having done dafne I don't limit myself too much into routines. Breakfast would usually be cereal and lunch a sandwich or salad for convenience but other than that it could be anything, so long as I have my ratios correct I mainly stay in target range.

Low carb diets can certainly help keep blood sugars under control, it's a very simple philosophy that if the carbs aren't there in the first place they can't raise your bg. Personally low carb isn't something I do ( I am very active so need my carbs and quite honestly I'm not disciplined enough!), but I do try to stick with low GI as far as possible, this should limit the 'spikes' in bg after meals so help to average out at a better level.

lo123 - if you blood sugars are high with food, it doesn't necessarily mean that you're eating the wrong things, just that your insulin intake isn't matching your carbohydrate intake. Obviously, using a basal bolus regime (1 or 2 long acting injections, plus a short-acting injection with each meal) means you can adapt your insulin intake much more easily than if you're on a bimodal regime (2 injections per day).

Hope you and your diabetes team can find a solution that works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back