Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

harry3033

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone

Wanted some advice on food.. after a meal about 2 hours later I start to feel shaky and end up going for any food in the house... Does anyone have advice as to what snacks I could have please

Do you test your blood sugar when you feel shaky @harry3033 ? And are you on any medication for the Type 2?

I think it is important to find out why you are going shaky.
But a bit more information would help people suggest the reason and what you might do.
How long have you been diagnosed and what is your HbA1C also are you on any medication.
Does this happen after every meal or just if you have eaten a high carb meal. Some examples of what you have eaten may give a clue.
Welcome to the forum by the way.

Welcome to the forum @harry3033

Without knowing what your numbers are when you are feeling like that we can only guess really.

Those feelings can certainly be associated with low bloog glucose. But confusingly they can also be associated with rapidly rising blood glucose.

It could be that your levels are rising sharply after eating then dropping back down, and (even though your levels are fine) your body sees that sharp drop as worrying and signals a warning. A false hypo.

or…

It could be that your levels rise after food because your ‘first phase’ insulin is impaired, then your body slightly overreacts and overproduces second phase insulin which then drops your levels too low - sometimes called reactive hypoglycaemia.

or…

It could be that your levels are rising rapidly, and the glucose is staying in your bloodstream, and your body signals that it isn’t getting the fuel it was expecting into the cells, because of the insulin resistance - so it signals to request more food/energy.

So the symptoms you are getting could be triggered by low, high, or normal glucose levels. You‘d need a BG meter to check and see what was happening at the time to understand more 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back