Food that lowers blood sugar??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmd1978

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

So my bloods are crazy and i have seen adverts about foods that can quickly lower blood sugar. The drink was pommegranate juice. Is this possible do you think

There are lots of snake oil salesmen out to make money quick and one ready target is always folks with a medical condition.

How crazy are your bloods and what have you tried to get them under control so far?

Im having blood readings of 10 11. I am changing the units of insulin i take with doctor guidence. Just a bit fed up and saw the advert for pommegranate juice that lowers blood sugar and wondered. To complicate things even more im pregnant so i know that messes blood sugar up

Well firstly congrats on being pregnant!

What insulin are you on?

I’m assuming your T1 so I’m calling some others to this thread who may be able to offer some more relevant advice than I can as a T2 who’s also never going to get pregnant 🙂

@rebrascora
@eggyg @Grannylorraine and @everydayupsanddowns will likely be able to help as they’ve tonnes of experience amongst them and also with various types of insulin.

I know I’m still pretty new to this but to me that sounds more like a con by a company trying to make money.

Im having blood readings of 10 11. I am changing the units of insulin i take with doctor guidence. Just a bit fed up and saw the advert for pommegranate juice that lowers blood sugar and wondered. To complicate things even more im pregnant so i know that messes blood sugar up

Pomegranate juice is quite high carb and the carbs will be absorbed quicker because it’s juice. You have a better thing to lower your blood sugar - insulin.

How many weeks pregnant are you? Insulin resistance increases a lot in the second half of pregnancy. What insulins are you taking? I presume you’re Type 2 on insulin? Are you on a basal/bolus regime now? That is, both slow and fast insulin? Have you been shown how to correct high sugars with your fast insulin?

10 and 11 aren’t crazy blood sugars but they are above the pregnancy targets. If you can correct them, that would be best.

Hi @Hmd1978 and welcome to the forum.

There are lots of things around with marketing claims about reducing blood glucose. Those who operate within the law don't mention diabetes because that is illegal. Even then they don't make direct claims. They use phrases like "may help to" or "are associated with" or some other vague phrase which actually do not claim anything but make you think that the thing they are selling works. On top of that you have the downright charlatans who operate outside the law and simply tell lies. More worrying is the increasing prevalence of subscription fraud which as far as I am aware is widespread with CBD products, is creeping into the magic slimming pill area and no doubt will begin to target people with diabetes before long.

If any of these things actually worked, then it would be well known and be part of mainstream diabetes control and we would all be drinking pomegranate juice and the like. The fact that is not the case should tell you all you need to know.

Hi @Hmd1978 and welcome to the forum.

There are lots of things around with marketing claims about reducing blood glucose. Those who operate within the law don't mention diabetes because that is illegal. Even then they don't make direct claims. They use phrases like "may help to" or "are associated with" or some other vague phrase which actually do not claim anything but make you think that the thing they are selling works. On top of that you have the downright charlatans who operate outside the law and simply tell lies. More worrying is the increasing prevalence of subscription fraud which as far as I am aware is widespread with CBD products, is creeping into the magic slimming pill area and no doubt will begin to target people with diabetes before long.

If any of these things actually worked, then it would be well known and be part of mainstream diabetes control and we would all be drinking pomegranate juice and the like. The fact that is not the case should tell you all you need to know.
Hmm yes they even market super free stuff as debetic friendly etc. when most of it still has a ton of carbs in. It worry’s me really as this could potentially be dangous.

Firstly congratulations on your pregnancy. It sounds like you perhaps need more support from your health care professionals in using your insulin(s) to manage your levels better.
I cannot see how drinking something which is high in sugar and not even have the benefits of the whole fruit (ie fibre) and therefore likely to spike your BG levels higher, can possibly have any beneficial effect on your diabetes and at a time when managing your BG levels well is so important, I think you would be well advised to avoid products with such claims and seek medical advice.

Pomegranate juice is quite high carb and the carbs will be absorbed quicker because it’s juice. You have a better thing to lower your blood sugar - insulin.
I like pomegranate molasses, but (like cinnamon) for flavour rather than for lowering blood glucose. As you note, insulin is really good for that.

Congratz on the pregnancy 🙂

I saw an ad today on a local facebook group for some wonder diet powder that "also stabilizes blood glucose"
*throws meds in the bin and runs off to buy" :rofl:
I almost want to ask the seller more about it publicly and see what the response is but at the same time, I don't want to even engage with them at all.

I'm also very wary of all these "health coaches" who promote their "10 ways to fix insulin resistance" and "5 top tips to lower your blood sugars" type content. What you watch them I see folks commenting "omg I'm going to stop my metformin and try this". I inwardly cry.
The slightly more reputable ones do say discuss with doctor first, or maybe thats just covering themselves from lawsuits.

Like it has been said already, if whatever has been suggested truly works, it would be a part of a normal medical treatment plan, esp in a system where the NHS is trying to save money where it can.

Defo speak to your own team if you have concerns with your bg and let them help you x

I find that eating air lowers weight and blood glucose levels very effectively. Now all I need to do is figure out how to market it!

People are already making lots of money out of canned fresh air. You’ve missed the boat @ColinUK 😛

Seriously @Hmd1978 do speak to your team. You might also want to look at and post in the Pregnancy section here. The pregnancy targets are tight but there are lots of us who’ve gone through pregnancies with diabetes so you’re not alone.

There are lots of snake oil salesmen out to make money quick and one ready target is always folks with a medical condition.

How crazy are your bloods and what have you tried to get them under control so far?

So right there Colin, they pray on vunerable & sick looking for quick fix.

Welcome to the forum @Hmd1978

Congratulations on your pregnancy 🙂

Hope you manage to adjust your doses to settle your BG levels.

Pregnancy sure can create a bit of BG chaos, with huge changes in insulin requirements (in different directions!) at different stages.

You might find the series of blog posts linked here helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back