Status
Not open for further replies.

Charl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
On lantus 24 units in morning
Novorapid 8 units 3 x daily

Took readlng dinnertime...9.5
Before dinner upped my rapid dose to 12 units.
Had a jacket potato with half can of beans
Tested 2 hours later...19.9
Tested after another 2 hrs it had dropped to 9.2

Is that good or bad...any suggestions.

How long before eating are you doing your injection?

It is great that your numbers returned to the same level after 4 hours.

If you want to avoid spiking so high, you can pre-bolus (take your insulin earlier). ThIs will take some trial and error.
The food we eat is absorbed at different rates. If you took no insulin, you would see a spike after a certain time. In addition, the insulin has a profile showing when it is most active which has a spike.
In the ideal world, we try to time our bolus such that the spike of the carb absorption matches the spike of the NovoRapid activity profile.
This may vary for different foods (for example, fat will delay the food spike) and may vary at different times of the day (some people are more insulin resistant in the morning so need to pre-bolus earlier) and may vary depending on what your blood sugar levels are (my insulin works very fast when my levels are in the 4s or 5s but can take up to an hour to kick in when I am in double figures).
So, in a simple world, we are typically, recommended to pre-bolus 15 minutes before eating and then, if we feel inclined, move the timing accordingly.

Hi, @Charl I see you are T2 on fixed doses of insulin, so I guess you aren't carb-counting. I just thought it worth pointing out that in addition to you presumably having some insulin resistance, you started the meal on a high level of 9.5 and then ate a jacket potato (average jacket potato carbs 63g) and half a can of baked beans (low sugar beans 19g carb, ordinary ones 25g carb). So in total 88g carb, which is a pretty high carb load in one go. Plus jacket potatoes often hit the blood stream faster than sugar... so I can see why you had such a spike.

Perhaps for the future avoid such heavy carb loads when already high? I know it's difficult, especially when you are hungry and the food is in front of you. Alternatively do you know why you were already high at 9.5 before dinner?

Checking baçk on my meter early morning 1 am my bloods dropped to 2.8 had 3 x dextro and bread, when checked at 6.30 bloods were 13.9
Got a feeling I had to muçh bread.

Checking baçk on my meter early morning 1 am my bloods dropped to 2.8 had 3 x dextro and bread, when checked at 6.30 bloods were 13.9
Got a feeling I had to muçh bread.
Ahhh is your dinnertime around midday? I know you are recommended to eat some slower acting carb after a hypo but in order to limit it, I use those cereal bars that are only around 10-12g which avoids the huge spike caused by bread.

Yes diiner midday, dont mind me asking what cereal bars.Thanks

Personally I don't need any slower acting carbs after a hypo otherwise my levels go into orbit and quite often a smaller amount of fast acting than 15g, but you will gradually learn what works for your body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back