Food should be regulated like tobacco, say campaigners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The food industry should be regulated like the tobacco industry as obesity poses a greater global health risk than cigarettes, say international groups.

Consumers International and the World Obesity Federation are calling for the adoption of more stringent rules.

These could include pictures on food packaging of damage caused by obesity, similar to those on cigarette packets.

The Food and Drink Federation said the food industry was working to make healthy options for consumers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27446958

Oh God, you'll need a note from your doctor to buy a box of jelly babies next.

Cos you can't be trusted to only eat 2 at a time for pleasure or 3 when you is having a hypo.

Not everybody is fat - many people who are, already know eating whatever makes them stay that way.

Printing stuff on labels does not either educate or change hearts and minds !

The thing is though, that although not the healthiest of foods, having the occasional pie, pizza or sausage isn't going to do you much harm, it's when you eat them all the time. Can't see manufacturers going for the idea of putting gruesome pictures on their packaging! 😱

That's what I meant with regard to the jelly babies Alan.

I had a box for Xmas, Pete got Liquorice Allsorts. Most of my babies were still snuggled down in their cots sound asleep when the other box was empty!

Didn't quite last me a full 3 calendar months. The Allsorts lasted until about the third week of January, whereupon I took it upon myself the put the babies where they couldn't be easily seen! LOL

The local Co-op has started stocking Burgen S&L bread. I was chatting to the assistant about how it was one of the best for diabetics because of the lower carb count and low GI. She was really shocked and surprised when I told her that white bread was worse than sugar for raising blood sugar levels! Will they put warnings on white bread? I doubt it. 🙄

The local Co-op has started stocking Burgen S&L bread. I was chatting to the assistant about how it was one of the best for diabetics because of the lower carb count and low GI. She was really shocked and surprised when I told her that white bread was worse than sugar for raising blood sugar levels! Will they put warnings on white bread? I doubt it. 🙄

Haven't you seen the Co-op advert for cheap white bread Alan?

http://www.co-operativefood.co.uk/news-and-competitions/Watch-our-latest-TV-ads/75p-bread/

Controls aren't the answer. Education is. Teaching folk from a young age what good food is, how it's grown/produced/sold, how to cook it and that while it's OK to have junk occasionally, it shouldn't become a habit. That's what will work in the long run. I was talking to a youngster the other week and he had no clue that bacon comes from a pig, or that a pig is an animal. He was 9.

Hee hee hee!

When our grandkids were little they were at their other grandma's caravan in Norfolk. The evening walk with the dogs, skirts a field. There were spuds in the field. Neil took a spade, and they didn't bat an eyelid. However on the way back when he stopped to scrump some (sorry farmer) they were pretty horrified really.

How could these things covered in DIRT be spuds, 😱 when everybody knew they came from Sainsbury's in polythene bags?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back