Food labelling underestimating calorie content of some foods, scientists say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Dieters who eat high-fibre foods consume more calories than they think because retailers' calorie count system is out of date

Dieters have been misled by the outdated system for assessing the calorie content of food for decades, according to research that could redefine how people attempt to lose weight.

People who eat high-fibre foods such as vegetables and muesli are consuming more calories than they think because the current food labels do not take into account the calories in fibre.

Meanwhile the system overestimates, by up to 20%, the content of some protein-rich foods such as tuna steak that can take more energy to digest than simple carbohydrates such as white bread.

The scientists behind the research also reveal that consumers could reduce their calorie intake by eating raw rather than cooked foods. They argue that the way calories are assigned to foods by manufacturers needs a significant overhaul because calories are currently both over and under estimated by up to 25%.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/feb/18/food-retailers-underestimating-calorie-content

Um... I thought one of the benefits of fibre was that it passed through the digestive tract largely undigested. So what's the point in measuring the calorific value of something that the body doesn't use as fuel? What am I missing?

What is a calorie anyway LeeLee?

The amount of energy used to 'consume' X amount of that foodstuff. So I assume your gut uses (relatively more) energy to try and digest the chaff or whatever it is. From which it gets zilcho nutritional benefit.

So why DO thy need to count it?

I would have thought it was jolly beneficial to have your innards working harder - than not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back