Food help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hope everyone is well. I'm having trouble finding foods that don't increase my BM a lot. I'm a very picky eater, I hate most veg. I like carrots, peas and sweetcorn but that's it and I only eat certain fruit too, apples, bananas, straws, blueberries and rasps. I only eat chicken or mince as well. I'm really struggling with proper meals and find myself either going without or snacking on bread/toast. Getting sick of noodles too. Any help would be much appreciated ❤️

Greek yoghurt with berries and a few nuts and seeds is a lower carb breakfast @metallica19732000 Eggs are good too. For lunch, soup is good as is chicken plus salad.

I imagine you’re thinking of most veg as your ‘enemy’ but honestly, they’re your friends. If you can broaden your veg repertoire a bit, you’ll benefit and find lots more things to fill up on that are low carb. Salads (doesn’t have to be the usual lettuce and tomato), stir fries, roasted veg, soups, etc etc.

For your evening meal, you could just have your chicken/mince in the usual way (chilli, curry, etc) but reduce the carbs and increase the veg. Something like cauli rice is much lower carb than normal rice.

Are you on any medication for the diabetes?

Is there a reason beyond just not liking things why your choices are so limited?

Simple answer would be shove lots of veg in a pan, add water and a stock cube, cook, blend into soup. Easy way of getting more diverse foods into your diet without too much effort.

I just looked back and saw that you only eat one meal a day. I’m not sure that’s helping as it could send the message to your body that you’re ‘starving’ and your body will conserve calories and possibly pump out glucose too.

I know it might all be a big change of diet for you, which can be daunting, but the good thing is that you have lots of things you can improve or change 🙂

Have you tried cooking the veg in different ways? How you cook them can totally change the flavour so if you don't like them boiled or steamed for instance try roasting them instead, my partner can't stand sprouts boiled or steamed but will eat them roasted as they really do taste completely different

I was probably regarded as a cruel mother as I had a rule that my daughters were not allowed to reject a food until they had tried it and if they genuinely didn't like it then that was fine. As a result there is very little that they don't like. It is often the texture of food that people don't like rather than the flavour. So being inventive with how you cook things can make all the difference.
Things I cannot bare because of texture are prawns, Okra and passion fruit because of all the seeds.

Last edited:
I have to say I was not a big of a lot of veg until last year, but since diagnosis and changing my diet, I can't get enough of it. I actually found my dislike of much veg was due to memory of school dinners in the 1970s and 1980s and that awful smell of boiled cabbage (Not to mention disgusting meat products.) that permeated the canteen.

I even eat Brocolli now, which I have hated for 50 years. Now I cook it all myself it tastes much nicer. (And air fried with paprika is can be delicious - and goes well with a yoghurt based curry marinade and chicken or paneer.)

I've recently developed a taste for celery dipped in peanut butter... really nice.

Do you have a BG meter @metallica19732000 ?

It might help reassure you about the food choices you are making, and guide you as to which of the foods you like are the most BG friendly.

Chicken and mince are great bases for meals, and strawberries, raspberries and blueberries are often quite well tolerated my members. Some can eat apples OK, but fewer can manage bananas.

Have you had restrictive tastes for a long time? Is it flavour? Texture? Or a combination that you find unappealing?

What meals do you enjoy? Might there be ways you could adapt them?

Hi. Avoid bananas as they are fairly high carb.

Greek yoghurt with berries and a few nuts and seeds is a lower carb breakfast @metallica19732000 Eggs are good too. For lunch, soup is good as is chicken plus salad.

I imagine you’re thinking of most veg as your ‘enemy’ but honestly, they’re your friends. If you can broaden your veg repertoire a bit, you’ll benefit and find lots more things to fill up on that are low carb. Salads (doesn’t have to be the usual lettuce and tomato), stir fries, roasted veg, soups, etc etc.

For your evening meal, you could just have your chicken/mince in the usual way (chilli, curry, etc) but reduce the carbs and increase the veg. Something like cauli rice is much lower carb than normal rice.

Are you on any medication for the diabetes?
Thank you that's very helpful

Do you have a BG meter @metallica19732000 ?

It might help reassure you about the food choices you are making, and guide you as to which of the foods you like are the most BG friendly.

Chicken and mince are great bases for meals, and strawberries, raspberries and blueberries are often quite well tolerated my members. Some can eat apples OK, but fewer can manage bananas.

Have you had restrictive tastes for a long time? Is it flavour? Texture? Or a combination that you find unappealing?

What meals do you enjoy? Might there be ways you could adapt them?
Yeah, I was forced to eat veg as a child to the point where I was violently sick.

Thank you that's very helpful
Broccoli is amazing if you cook for 2.5 mins in microwave, then stir fry with some sesame oil and soy sauce. Also works well for chard, kale and cabbage. MMM chinese veg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back