Food for children - michelle g

Status
Not open for further replies.

michelle g

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Talking about food........

my six year old daughter loves a bacon buttie with tomatoe sauce for breakfast, she had that with a small banana milkshake (one small teaspoon of nesquick in loads of milk) this morning, hopefully this will keep her going until morning snack at school!

If she keeps eating that she will end up looking like one!!!! I find breakfasts for a diabetic very challenging - especially when she does not like milk, and is not all that keen on toast - she now eats toast, because that was all she could have in hospital!!!

my six year old daughter loves a bacon buttie with tomatoe sauce for breakfast, she had that with a small banana milkshake (one small teaspoon of nesquick in loads of milk) this morning, hopefully this will keep her going until morning snack at school!

If she keeps eating that she will end up looking like one!!!! I find breakfasts for a diabetic very challenging - especially when she does not like milk, and is not all that keen on toast - she now eats toast, because that was all she could have in hospital!!!

Hiya Michelle

You are right breakfasts for a child with diabetes is hard work. They need a balanced diet which includes carbs and everything else as well. Cereals are a nightmare although we seem to be ok with weetabix, mini weetabix with chocolate bits in (!) and that sort of stuff. If she drinks the milkshake then has she tried the mini weetabix with choc or raisins even, without milk. My daughter loves eating them without milk and if your daughter is getting her milk quota with the shake then why not have them dry !!

My daughter would love a bacon buttie every morning but I don't have time.

How about pancakes - you can buy those ready made ones (I think you can get wholemeal ones as well).

Hello and welcome to the thread Michelle :D , If you can get a 6yr old to eat breakfast its a good thing!! , most of my nieces , nephews are impossible to feed in the mornings !
Does your daughter have wholemeal bread or white? that will have a bearing on how quick it hits her system then "runs out" Brown , is best as its slow release also the bacon will slow it down more. Eeek Tomato ketchup is loaded with sugar , a tiny amount is ok but not tons of the stuff .
Have you tried her on scrambled Egg or boiled Eggs , they make a nice change and are still quick and easy to do when you are in a rush in the morning!
Good idea with the nesquik to get her to have more Milk :D beware of added sugars in things though , are you carb counting or is she on a fixed amount of Insulin atm ? Is your daughter on MDI? Sorry for all the questions 😱

whooaaa...

My daughter is on novorapid with meals, and glargine (I think) at night - this is still really new to us. L loves tomatoe sauce, and she used to have it on ANYTHING!!!! but now it is a treat - I am sorry for saying it, but it was white bread this morning... I have a 16 yr old a 9 yr old and the youngest 6 has type 1. It has been tough on her. They all have breakfast at 7 am, and we are all out of the house by 8 am for work, college and school - hubby is out of the house by 6.45 am! I have always done the cooked breakfast thing, and the scrambled eggs (with ketchup) now the ketchup is restricted to low sugar and low salt (heinz) and to a small dollop! much to her disgust!

What is MDI??? as I said I am still really new to this , I had a bad week last week, I keep crying! obviously not in front of the children - I bathed the little one last night, and she just looked so small and vunerable.......

IT IS NOT FAIR!!!!!!

Pancakes...... I will try those....... I am starving at the moment, I will have to try them out for lunch 🙂

thanks

whooaaa...

My daughter is on novorapid with meals, and glargine (I think) at night - this is still really new to us. L loves tomatoe sauce, and she used to have it on ANYTHING!!!! but now it is a treat - I am sorry for saying it, but it was white bread this morning... I have a 16 yr old a 9 yr old and the youngest 6 has type 1. It has been tough on her. They all have breakfast at 7 am, and we are all out of the house by 8 am for work, college and school - hubby is out of the house by 6.45 am! I have always done the cooked breakfast thing, and the scrambled eggs (with ketchup) now the ketchup is restricted to low sugar and low salt (heinz) and to a small dollop! much to her disgust!

What is MDI??? as I said I am still really new to this , I had a bad week last week, I keep crying! obviously not in front of the children - I bathed the little one last night, and she just looked so small and vunerable.......

IT IS NOT FAIR!!!!!!

Hi Michelle

I take it this has all happened very recently, so sorry to hear that. I don't know your story.

Your daughter is on MDI - multiple daily injections ie novorapdi with meals and Lantus Glagine morning or night. (just a quickie, if you find she is having hypos at night or waking up hypo then you may need to change the Lantus injection to the morning.)

When you are on MDI you should have been taught carb counting. However in loads of hospitals they don't bother which is just sooo naughty. If you count the carbs of each meal then you match the novorapid to the food rather than give a set amount of insulin. This way your daughter can pretty much eat what she wants, you just have to cover the carbs with insulin. I found carb counting the most daunting prospect of diabetes, most people do but once you are in the swing of it, it is a piece of cake ('scuse the pun!) Your DSN should have given you a carb to insulin ratio ie 1 unit to 20 carbs or something like that.

You will learn over time what different foods do the blood sugar levels, I won't start complicating things by telling you loads now.

The basics though for bread are that white bread will rise the levels immediately and then drop them quite quickly. The best bread is granary or seeded or nuts ie soya and linseed (which is delicious by the way) but it is hard to get some children to eat this stuff. If you find that then it is better to get 'best of both' rather than just white. The non white bread doesn't raise levels quite so quickly and keeps them level for a bit longer which is a good thing.

Don't even go there re the low carbing for kids. They need a balanced healthy diet. So don't base all your meals around carbs either. Your daughter just needs some carbs, protein, veg, fat etc etc, you know the thing, normal healthy food like we are all supposed to have !!

Take a look at www.childrenwithdiabetesuk.org this is a website written by parents for parents of children with diabetes. On the front page you can join another email group, this is a large group of parents and is just purely for children with diabetes and focused on the kids. It is a great group, I have lots of really good friends from there now (and here of course).

Please ask anything you like. We are here to help.

Perhaps Northerner can move this to a new thread (thanks) 🙂

Healthy breakfast ideas can come in the form of having items available that everyone likes so each person can make their own decision on what to eat. I try to let the kids decide and if they don't want to eat right away items go into a bag or lunch pack for them to eat on the playground
before school starts. Usually by the time they get to school they are ready to eat something. Already made waffles can be popped into the toaster thawed out, spread with peanut butter and eaten like a sandwich. A piece of fruit with string cheese or hard boiled eggs. Cottage cheese with favorite fruit is another option.

English or regular muffins can be made or purchased and frozen. Just pop them into the microwave to thaw out. I usually use my microwave at 50% power for a couple minutes for thawing. Snack mixes can be made ahead of time and bagged into individual bags for something to eat on the run. One snack mix I make uses popped corn and different cereals, nuts, raisins and other dried fruit. The dried fruit acts as a sweetener so the mix can be eaten dry.that was one ladies opinion on a forum for children who where struggling with brekkie ideas

Not sure about the eating on the run or in the playground, ok for non diabetic kiddies but an injection is needed and roughly at the same time each day, especially if you are handing over care to a school, they will need to have times to adhere to on a daily basis ie two hours after insulin and if you have moved the goalposts it could prevent a problem in the school. It is very hard if you have a child with diabetes to get them to eat. They have to eat and so you need to encourage them to. I'm lucky my daughter clears the plate, always has done but she has always had diabetes and has learnt from an early age to eat everything.

These poor children diagnosed into childhood may have been used to leaving bits of food on their plate which is no ideal if you have already injected for it so new lessons need learning and a rethink about food. It can change, children are very resisliant and learn new ways to do things but if too many choices, it just gets so complicated, especially for newly diagnosed mums and dads. With a non diabetic child if they kick up a stink they can miss a meal, our diabetic children can't miss a meal especially on a school day.

Love the waffle idea, I love waffles. 🙂

PS Thanks Northerner 🙂

thank you sooo much for that, I will look at the other site.

My youngest was diagnosed on 21 august 2009 - and no, we have not had any carb counting, I think we will have some info next week? I have to wait and see........

The dieatician saw us in hospital, then two weeks later, but last week she was not there, because I was going to ask her about it.

I must say that I have learnt a lot from this site

thank you everyone - you all are an inspiration to me...... you all give me hope!

thank you sooo much for that, I will look at the other site.

My youngest was diagnosed on 21 august 2009 - and no, we have not had any carb counting, I think we will have some info next week? I have to wait and see........

The dieatician saw us in hospital, then two weeks later, but last week she was not there, because I was going to ask her about it.

I must say that I have learnt a lot from this site

thank you everyone - you all are an inspiration to me...... you all give me hope!

Hi

You will be ok Michelle. Your daughter will ok and she has a proactive mum. You wouldn't believe the amount of families that do nothing except to help their kids except believe everything they are told by their teams whether it be good advice or rubbish. By making the move to search for anything to do with diabetes so soon after diagnosis is just fantastic.

You are still in the diagnosis bubble and coming to terms with it, which will take some time.

The people here are lovely and very helpful.

If you join the other email group you will be getting lots of emails on a daily basis but don't feel you have to read every one, I don't. You may need to sort out your email rules (if you have outlook express) but thats for another day.

How old is your daughter and where abouts are you in the country? I may know people near you.

Hi all,
I hate jumping in. I don't have children but have been diabetic since i was two. I have always eaten white bread. Only now i sometimes eat best of both but i have white rolls everyday for lunch. I eat tomatoe sauce all the time. My chips are covered in in. My only advise to parents is don't pull things like tomatoe sauce off kids cos it's got sugar in it. A small amount on chips and a roll will do no harm. I have been diabetic for 25 years and have no complications. Yes i've had awful time and lots of high blood. As a teenager i ran sky high for about 4 years, in and out of hospital. My parents tried but i was far from interested. I was lucky, quickly grew up and sorted myself out. Got fed up feeling ill! All i'm trying to say is just because you are diabetic doesn't mean you can never eat white bread or have a mars bars. It's all about control. Good luck. I use to eat a bacon sandwich every morning and was prob best blood levels i ever had. Good old days. x x x

Hi all,
I hate jumping in. I don't have children but have been diabetic since i was two. I have always eaten white bread. Only now i sometimes eat best of both but i have white rolls everyday for lunch. I eat tomatoe sauce all the time. My chips are covered in in. My only advise to parents is don't pull things like tomatoe sauce off kids cos it's got sugar in it. A small amount on chips and a roll will do no harm. I have been diabetic for 25 years and have no complications. Yes i've had awful time and lots of high blood. As a teenager i ran sky high for about 4 years, in and out of hospital. My parents tried but i was far from interested. I was lucky, quickly grew up and sorted myself out. Got fed up feeling ill! All i'm trying to say is just because you are diabetic doesn't mean you can never eat white bread or have a mars bars. It's all about control. Good luck. I use to eat a bacon sandwich every morning and was prob best blood levels i ever had. Good old days. x x x

Hiya

I totally agree with you. My daughter has ketchup the same as all other kids and whenever she wants it ! Luckily she prefers the soya and linseed bread and granary. There is no getting away from the fact that for blood sugars that is best. I've seen what white bread does but she has it sometimes, I would never ban it. Infact I don't ban anything. It is all about limiting not banning. Infact her favourite food is bacon sandwiches with ketchup but no butter.

Being on a pump means it is much easier to have all these things as and when but we are talking about what is best for blood sugar levels and white bread just don't cut it I'm afraid, it acts like sugar. I'm with you there though, I love white bread, the fresher the better !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back